Anyone interested?

Postby kaz on Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:50 pm

DUCKWEED :D I have a HUGE branflake box ready to fill :D
kaz

Postby seanmckinney on Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:59 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D
seanmckinney

Postby alison on Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:45 pm

Anyone with depression should be prescribed this forum. :P I have chuckled my way through it today. :smt036 Thankyou all so much. :smt036 NO I don't need any duckweed thanks Kazzie. :D
alison

Postby aitch on Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:00 am

First duckweed appeared in my pond during the last three years during the last few weeks - please tell me my pond isn't going to disappear underneath it! (Am trying to fish as much out as possible....) :(

And no - I don't want any more thanks!!! :lol:
Aitch
aitch

Postby alison on Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:05 pm

I haven't got any and don't really want any, but I always think it looks lovely especially with a little frogs head peeking out of the top... :smt050
alison

Postby Anyanka on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:57 pm

Duckweed can be great for comedy effect. It fools animals into mistaking water for a solid surface. On separate occasions, I've seen a fully grown Irish Setter and an English Blue rabbit try to run across a duckweeded pond, rather entertaining!
Anyanka

Postby kaz on Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:34 pm

Oooh... you want me to send you some :wink:
kaz

Postby Anyanka on Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:31 pm

Thanks, Kaz - I've already got some... :roll: lots, actually...
Anyanka

Postby seanmckinney on Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:40 pm

Anyanka azolla does the same thing, he says with an evil laugh, though a red setter might endanger the liner.
seanmckinney

Postby Kristin F. on Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:19 pm

I find your duckweed to be very interesting :)
There is no duckweed in Iceland so I've never seen it
-but it looks really great in your pictures ;)

After reading this thread, I realize it can be 'a problem' due to rapid growth - maybe it would suit perfectly in my cool climate :lol:

I remember reading somewhere that fish, especially Koi, eat Duckweed like snacks - maybe that is the reason there is so little of it in your large Pond Kaz?

..if only I had noticed this offer earlier .. and lived a little bit closer :wink:
Kristin F.

Postby Tricia on Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:32 pm

I don't have any duckweed either - but I do have plenty of azolla if anyone would like some - Sean perhaps???????? :)

I manage to keep it within bounds though and my compost bin profits from frequent doses of azolla and water hyacinth which I also have to remove frequently.

btw I didn't buy the azolla - it was lurking under the leaves of two water hyacinths bought last Spring. I'm going to try to keep a couple of water hyacinths in a bucket of pond water in the greenhouse over the winter. Has anyone else tried this?

Tricia
Tricia

Postby alison on Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:56 pm

I remember that someone tried it last year in different places but eventually it all died. I don't think it overwinters here at all well, but I would think that if anywhere it would be south with you Tricia.
Kristin I am sure the postman could easily deliver you some duckweed in a branflake box :lol:
alison

Postby Scotty24 on Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:15 pm

Tricia
I did manage to overwinter ONE water hyacinth a few years ago (started with about 20 all planted in differing ways)

The one that overwintered successully.........the roots were halfway planted in good garden soil 'mud' and the container filled up to the 'neck' of the hyacinth with water.
It was placed over a radiator on a south facing windowsill and topped up with water as necessary.
I kept it in my daughters bedroom and she wasn't very pleased as it became covered in really tiny green 'insects' which I had to 'rub off' regularly :shock:
By the time I put in back into the pond it was very sad looking with only a few green leaves but it soon grew and multiplied.

To be honest it's not really worth all the hassle as they are so cheap to buy. I only did it as an experiment to see if I could :D
Scotty24

Return to Swaps