Pickerel weed (pontederia cordata, blue flowered)

Free to a good home

Moderators: alison, sonny

Pickerel weed (pontederia cordata, blue flowered)

Postby Tricia on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:23 pm

I spent a couple of hours sorting out the pickerel weed I had in the pond and have divided it into several largish pieces, including the long leaf stems. I've potted up two and put them back in the pond. It is a very good and attractive bog plant and is supposed to grow well at depths of up to 30 cm (12"). My plant didn't seem to know that and grew extremely well at over 2 feet deep :D .

If anyone wants a chunk please let me know. I think I'd have to cut the leaves off for mailing, otherwise the package would be too large and then the plant should be potted up and kept very moist till new foliage appears before planting it out.
Tricia

Tricia

Postby alison on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:36 am

I guess no one wanted any Tricia. :cry: It was the same with my yellow flag Iris which are beautiful. I kept some roots that I had cut in case anyone wanted any and now they have sent up good strong leaves and are about 8 inches high even though they are not planted up and are just floating in the pond.
I am really glad to hear that your Pickeral weed did so well at 2 ft deep. I have 2 plants that do okay but not brilliant in the shallows but I am now thinking that I may try them in the deeper water and see what happens. If you still have any that you want to get rid of I will have them if that is okay and no one else wants them.
alison

Postby Tricia on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:51 pm

Delighted to send you a couple of chunks Alison - I just wish I knew someone around here that has a pond as there are 6 large chunks of the plant going for free. I now have two plants in my pond but it had grown so much I had to separate it into 8 chunks! I'll get a box full off to you on Monday. It is a lovely plant with its blue flower spikes and flowers for a long time. Shame no-one else wants any as the rest will have to go in the compost bin. :(
Tricia

Tricia

Postby alison on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:13 pm

I hate to waste the plants as well, that's why my Iris is still in the pond. I have a neighbour who has a pond though, but he doesn't want my Iris as it originally came from him. I think I might plant it up just in the garden as it can live happily both in the pond or in the ground. He would probably have a little of the pickeral weed though.
His pond was the inspiration for me doing a pond and his help was invaluable at the time of the building of the 1st pond and also the rockery that was above it. He also did the original waterfall for me so a lot of credit needs to go to him. Now my pond is a lot bigger and nicer than his pond so he classes our garden as his 2nd garden. I took a lot of my primrose willow and watercress round to him the other week as his pond was very green still so hopefully the extra plants has improved that.
alison

Postby Tricia on Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:07 pm

Several chunks of pickerel weed on their way Alison. Plant them up as soon as you can but chuck them into a bucket of water anyway to give them a drink before planting. Hope they do well - as bog or pond plants!

Btw - are the fakir lilies flourishing?
Tricia

Tricia

Postby alison on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:37 am

I was going to ask you about them Tricia. Should they be coming up now? I planted them up no probs and when I got my plum slate went nicely round them. Now summer is here they have disappeared all together. Of course in the same area is now the fern type thing and the poppies so they could just be hidden away. I hope the girls haven't trodden them away in their excitement to see the frogs in that area.
alison

Postby alison on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:41 pm

Tricia, the plants have arrived all in good condition. Thankyou. The postage was a bit steep wasn't it ? Well I thought so anyway so I will reimberse you for it as you shouldn't be out of pocket for my benefit. I will get them sorted out this afternoon and give them a drink. Thanks again. I will get looking for the shoots of the Kaffir lilys. I really hope I haven't lost them :roll:
alison

Postby Tricia on Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:40 pm

Glad the plants arrived so quickly - don't worry about the postage Alison. You may be able to send me something someday - who knows?

It looks like you have lost the fakir lilies :( . I'll send you some more after they have finished blooming (they haven't started yet - late September/October if I remember correctly). Try planting them a bit further away from the pond edge next time :)

Have just finished cleaning the filter and trying to remove as much algae from the waterfall as possible. Ugh - mucky job :roll: .
Tricia

Tricia

Return to Freebies