Greenhouse

Post here for advice on anything in the garden.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Greenhouse

Postby kaz on Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:04 pm

Does anyone have a greenhouse? If so, any tips on what type to purchase? I'm just giving this some thought at the moment (nothing more). I saw a greenhouse many moons ago on an American forum and they had allowed for a small pond in the base. This was to over winter tropical lilies and delicate fish... some black butterfly things, can't remember the name.

I always have to have a little 'wish list' otherwise working hard seems pointless :roll:
kaz

Postby alison on Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:27 pm

I wish I had room for one. I would start things off from seeds and plant them in the garden and it would be filled with lovely flowers till it was overflowing.... :smt055 Bliss...
I have also heard that the americans have ponds in their basements to over winter the fish and frogs..I hadn't heard of one putting a pond in the greenhouse though.
alison

Postby Tricia on Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:50 pm

Hi Kaz,
Yes, I have a small greenhouse. Right now it is supplying me with tomatoes, cucumbers, aubergines, sweet peppers and chillis. I'll be growing some winter salad stuff when all this is finished. Then after Christmas it all starts again. First with germinating seeds on the kitchen window sill and putting them into the greenhouse to grow on till they can be planted outside in May/June.

My garden is mostly patio, shrubs and pond with only a small space for veggies, but I get an enormous amount of pleasure eating veggies from my own garden - where I know they haven't been nuked to give them a longer shelf life!

But a pond in a greenhouse? That's a new one on me!

Tricia
Tricia

Postby kaz on Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:07 pm

Do you heat your greenhouse Tricia? I would love to home grow stuff.

Hmmm... I wonder how long it takes for a greenhouse to pay for itself? Nursery plants are so expensive and then there's the veggies.
kaz

Postby Tricia on Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:33 pm

Kaz, I use a small fan heater if it becomes necessary as I overwinter all my fuschia and pelagoniums in my mini greenhouse. However, I haven't used it since I had the glazing replaced with double-walled polycarbonate. OK, I am in south Devon where it is usually quite mild, but the temperature never went below 5C in the greenhouse all last winter and it was mostly around 8C or 9C. I was very pleased :D of course.
Gordon has an 8 x 6 polycarbonate greenhouse where he grows veggies for me - I really don't have much room in mine. Tonight I brought back a good harvest of red peppers, yellow peppers (grown from supermarket yellow pepper seeds!!) hot chilli peppers, a cucumber and 4 courgettes from one of his plants which is producing like a triffid :P . I always think I've sown too many courgette plants, but end up with just two or three because the slugs and snails get the rest. This year mine aren't doing well, but the two of the four plants I gave Gordon survived and are fantastic. It's great fun growing your own veggies - and my freezer is crammed with frozen beans, tomatoes, courgettes and peppers. These are the veggies which are so expensive in Winter and makes the perseverance in spite of all the heartache of slug and snail damage in Spring worth it. Sorry to be rambling on, but when I get started on gardening - and veggie gardens in particular I could go on for hours! :lol:

Go for it Kaz - I find veggie gardening an extremely satisfying hobby and wish my small plot could be extended.

Tricia

PS I also sow seeds for all my summer plants, busy lizzies, lobelia etc., and save the seeds from year to year. I haven't bought seeds for summer flowers for years!
Tricia

Return to Gardening