Whispy grass

Post here for advice on anything in the garden.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Whispy grass

Postby kaz on Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:49 pm

When the top garden was planted, I really hated the grasses and was going to pull them up. Now they've matured, I think they look quite pretty. Anyone else have grasses?

kaz

Postby Anyanka on Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:12 pm

I'm just getting into grasses - for a long time I was put off by a) how 'in' they were and b) a lot of the ones in our local garden centre were a bronze colour that just made them look like they'd been dead for a long time...
Just bought another Carex and a Miscanthus (Zebra grass) last week at Wisley to add to the growing collection, they're mostly in pots around the pond.
Oh heck, I'll go out and get a photo now. Just hoping someone will tell me how to put them on!
Anyanka

Postby kaz on Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:44 pm

I'd be interested to see your grasses Anyanka. I (think) that I've got quite a few, but not sure if they are 'a grass' and I don't know their names either.

As for the 'browny' coloured ones, unfortunately I have a couple of them too, which I'll pull up... they look dead (maybe they are :shock: )
kaz

Postby kaz on Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:54 pm

Not sure what they are and don't like some:

The dead look:

kaz

Postby alison on Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:46 pm

The only grass that I have is the one in my pond which I really like. It can be grown in the garden as well so is versatile. It is a stripey varigated grass with fairly broad leaves. The leaves are a lightish green with cream stripes. It grows about 18" to 2ft. high and has lovely 'flowers'. I have just remembered that there is a picture of it in the thread "flowers in my garden" in 'flora and fauna' As you go down the pictures, keep going past the replies and there are some more flowers. It is amongst those pictures. It only shows the edge of one leaf though, the rest are the grass flowers. I don't like those ones that look like they have died either. I can't imagine why people would buy something that looks dead and pay quite a bit of money for them. :roll:
alison

Postby kaz on Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:18 pm

Alison... I've just been and looked at the other thread with your pond grass, I didn't realise that you had sneaked in some more garden pics. Everything looks so pretty.

Terry is kean on grasses, so planted quite a few... but I'm going to remove the ones I don't like. The dead looking one has never been green and its been in for almost a year now.

There is a grass growing in the patio pond, but I think its an accident! The soil wasn't pure with the pond plants, so other things have taken over :?
kaz

Postby Anyanka on Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:00 pm

Hey again, I've been busy putting together an online wedding album (much easier than making copies, and less obnoxious than shoving a physical album into every visitor's hands!) hence the delay in uploading my grassy pictures.
Here goes:
The reddish one in the foreground is a grass; as usual I've forgotten the name entirely, and the green one in the blue pot is my latest Carex. The three big pointy ones are phormium and cordyline, but to the left of them, barely visible is a Red Baron grass, green with red tips - it doesn't do much, but I love the colour. There's also some Ophiopogon nigrescens dotted around, both in pots and in the ground, but it's practically invisible in this picture.
Anyanka

Postby kaz on Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:01 pm

I like the green one, the way it hangs over the pot. I'll be on the look-out for one of those :D

Are the tree stumps rooted there or just ornamental? I've seen an American pond that is choc-a-block with nick-knacks and love the look that's been created (I'll see if I can find the link).

http://www.homestead.com/backyardpond/
kaz

Postby Anyanka on Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:20 pm

That's my kind of pond, and my kind of garden - thanks for the link, Kaz!
The stumps and logs by my pond are all placed. It's sort of nature's sculpture, forever work in progress... Elsewhere in the garden there's a couple of 'real' ones.
Martin and I both love wood, whether as live trees, weathering/decaying stumps and logs, or furniture. He does wood-turning as well.
Anyanka

Return to Gardening