Planting ideas please

Post here for advice on anything in the garden.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Planting ideas please

Postby kaz on Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:51 pm

There is a garden area beside the pond which has turned out to be a disappointment. The gunnera must go... it didn't do well and I'm not sure it would look right there anyway.

I'd like some different textures / heights and some all round colour. Any ideas please:

kaz

Postby Anyanka on Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:07 pm

Kaz, I grew some cardoon from seed this spring - the tallest one is now about 2metres high and has flowers like artichokes/giant thistles; lovely greyish-green foliage, very jungly, really good for filling a space like yours (three plants would be enough). It's supposed to be a vegetable, but I'm not going to eat it - looks too good. Very easy, too. It remains to be seen how it overwinters, but if necessary I'll start fresh next spring!
Anyanka

Postby Rita on Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:05 am

Rita

Postby kaz on Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:19 pm

Many thanks Rita... not seen those before. I still haven't planted that area yet, but will start in Spring :D I want something at the far end of the pond too, but will see what ideas we get on trees first.
kaz

Postby alison on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:28 pm

Kaz is that area nearest to the house (or in other words do you see that bare area before the pond :roll: ) I was thinking that if it was before the pond then you wouldn't want anything big there to block your view as you look down the garden. I even thought that maybe you could turn it into a little seating area so you can sit and watch the fish etc or maybe a beach type setting leading into the pond. It would be nice as a seating area with fragrant plants like lavender or stock.
alison

Re: Planting ideas please

Postby whis4ey on Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:18 pm

I agree that if this is between you and the pond that the Gunnera is in the wrong place
Put it on the other side :)
whis4ey

Postby kaz on Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:43 am

Good heavens... I posted about this almost 2 years ago :shock:. I have since removed the gunnera and bunged in some plants... you won't be surprised to know I can't recall their names!
kaz

Postby alison on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:26 pm

Well you had better get an updated photo on here then hadn't you !!! :D :D
alison

Return to Gardening