Apple Tree

Post here for advice on anything in the garden.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Apple Tree

Postby alison on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:47 pm

I have an apple tree which over a couple of years gave me not too many, but enough lovely big apples. Cox orange pippins I think. Last year I got no apples, but put it down to the birds flying onto the tree and knocking off the apples whilst still very young. We used to have the bird feeder very near the tree and they used to fly and rest on the apple tree and then go onto the feeder.
This year I stopped feeding them through the feeder and moved it away. I thought my apples would be safe as I had a good crop of flowers and small fruits developed everywhere. Over the last week or so all the fruits have dropped off. I am not sure if it is the weather or if it is the squrrel. I have never fed anything really, but wonder what to feed it to help or should I justl eave things as they are.
Any knowledgeable budding enthusiasts out there. :smt115
alison

Postby Anyanka on Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:46 pm

It is normal for apple trees to drop surplus fruit in late June, early July - but all of them? We have actually had less of a June Drop this year than previously (one Bramley, one Cox), so drought is not the problem!

I cannot find anything in my Pests & Diseases or in my Kitchen Garden book; have you posted a question on the UK Garden Forum yet?
Anyanka

Postby alison on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:40 pm

No but I will try there. Good thinking :) I'm thinking it could have been the squirrel as at the same time a few of the pots had been dug about. The squirrels only had 2 babes this time and we haven't seen much of them really.
alison

Postby Anyanka on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:43 am

I just re-read my previous message and realised that it sounds as if only two apples dropped during June... which is not what I meant of course. It was supposed to meant that we have one Bramley tree, one Cox tree!
Anyanka

Return to Gardening