Ok, the stream

Talk about our ponds here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Ok, the stream

Postby seanmckinney on Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:47 pm

Heres a plan view and a photo of the old stream

I was intending to add a veggie filter to the head waters of the stream by digging out section A in the plan view and lining the hole with flagstone walls and a box liner with the following approximate floor plan dimensions.

That was a job I was not looking forward too.

Then I rescued a 3'x2'x2' cistern from a skip, one ready made veggie filter tank

this was the proposed new layout, T3 is where section B of the first diagram is shown

Here is the plumbed filter tank

Here is the hole for the filter dug, the foundations in and the leveling points, arrowed in yellow, set. The channel is for the 4" grey feed pipe, the cutout, partially obscured by an arrow, is because I boobed in allowing space for the white drain pipes.

The pipe work located in/by concrete

Here is the outlet for the drains from the filter tank

BTW the entire area under the tank is level concrete which supports all of the tank's bottom but I dont have photos of that.
I made a mistake and poured concrete around the sides of the tank. Why a mistake? Because if the tank is flexed and any grit etc drops between the tank and the concrete then that grit is trapped between the tank and a hard surface. It would have been better to use soil around the tank.

The walls of the original streams where soil but I had had problems with them settling so this time I used 2" thick concrete flagstones stood on edge and semi buried to form structural walls for the streams, I dont have any photos of that.

I am posting this now but there is more to follow
seanmckinney

Postby whis4ey on Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:06 pm

Looks darned complicated for my tiny brain :)
whis4ey

Postby alison on Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:16 pm

Sean loves to do the complicated things. He takes ages doing all the plans etc for us to see that we don't ever understand :smt017 , but then it all comes together brilliantly :P and the end product is worth it.
alison

Postby seanmckinney on Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:52 pm

Ah found a picture showing the flagstone walls of the top stream

This shows a trial run

These show a full test of the completed stream, note the 'tank' numbers have changed, sorry about that
You can see that the top stream will be planted
T1 may be planted with something but its very shady,
T2 is/will-be the veggie filter
T3? may get an 'island' of plants it is about 4" deep when the pump is running and 3.5" deep when the pump is off
seanmckinney

Postby alison on Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:04 pm

Looks like a good flow of water coming from it.
alison

Postby seanmckinney on Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:08 pm

Should be around 1630 UK gph
seanmckinney

Postby kaz on Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:54 pm

Unusual to see a row of mugs instead of the beer cans :shock:

Even Sean's simple pictures / explanations have in the past been beyond my comprehension... Headaches have developed as a result of staring at photos of a pool of water trying to spot the invisable fish or... I'll never forget the 'sawn-off drainpipe on workbench in shed' picture... that was a baffling topic :shock:

Your vocation Sean :?: : plumbing :D
kaz

Postby seanmckinney on Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:34 pm

Kazzie, the mugs are "pint pots" :wink: :wink:
Re 'sawn-off drainpipe on workbench in shed" :?: :?: ahhhh, you mean the pond vacuum? :D
seanmckinney

Return to Pond talk