Shubunkin changing colour - please refresh my memory

Talk about our ponds here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Shubunkin changing colour - please refresh my memory

Postby Kristin F. on Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:05 pm

hmm, sometimes my memory doesn't serve me at all ..

I have Goldfish in my pond, 3 Comet Sarassas and 2 Shubunkins.
They are young fish, about 2".
One of the Shubies is changing colour from dark to almost white, one or two dark spots still remaining but all the gorgeous blue, red and orange colors have "disappeared", simply faded away during only a month.

I remember reading somewhere that this can happen to Goldfish in ponds - but my question is:

Is that permanent?
Or is the fish going to change colour again later on?

Thank you
Kristin F.

Postby alison on Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:12 pm

I have never noticed it in my shubunkins. Scotty (Sue) would be the best to inform you on them as they are her favourite fish. I know I have had goldfish that have changed to practically white from the lovely orange, and they haven't changed back, but not any shubs. Sorry I can't help you more. It is such a shame when they change as we have often bought them for their colouring. :cry:
alison

Postby Kristin F. on Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:59 pm

Exactly what I thought too, Alison. I thought Shubunkins didn't change colour, only Comets :s
That's why I was so supprised, maybe my shubie is a cross-breed or something .. he/she did have beautiful colours which was the main reason I just fell in love with Shubies and have two of them.
The other one has been hiding for weeks, so don't know if he has changed colours too.
Kristin F.

Return to Pond talk