not sure what to do with stream

Talk about our ponds here

Moderators: alison, sonny

not sure what to do with stream

Postby seanmckinney on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:42 pm

It's progressing, ....slowly, I have all the stream liner edges anchored now but am in a quandry, I have two different styles of stream bed and am not certain what to do about that. I covered early parts of the stream bed with plain dyed cement but later bits were also pebble dashed, consequently there is a boundary between the two styles. This can be seen in the two photos below, the first is an overall view and second a 'close up' with most of the water drained away

The stream edge at the bottom of the photos is a flagstone wall with the liner trapped in a cement filled groove in the top of that wall. This edge of the stream will be rocked with real rock cemented to what flagstone edge is exposed and the liner. The rock to the left is just resting there. The 'upper' edge of stream is the edge of the veggie filter, I intend to fix one of my imitation rock panels to that edge of the stream.

My first thought about this boundary was to place a rock over the boundary as a 'bridge' across the stream but I am not sure if such a bridge would look a bit OTT baring in mind that there is already a rock bridge, the existing 'Buddha' bridge, over the stream just to the left of shot in the above photos, the bridges would be 2ft or so apart. This is the existing bridge.
The 2nd idea stems from that rock in the first two photos and that is to use wide rocks to almost cover over the plain section of the stream.
A 3rd idea has occurred to me whilst writing this and that is to use the 2nd rock bridge but the cover the stream between the two rocks with a flagstone and cover that with soil and plant that soil thereby giving the impression of the stream going through a tunnel in the manner that some coastal roads go through a tunnel in a head land. I have just been down and taken this shot , the existing Buddha rock bridge is the light grey rock to the bottom left of the tank

What do you think of the above ideas especially number 3? DO you have any other suggestions?

Ta

I dont think it would be feasible to cover the plain cement with a layer of pebble dashing as the stream already runs fairly full, nor would I like to rip up the plain dyed cement.
seanmckinney

Postby kaz on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:11 pm

Third picture looks like a medievil toilet :shock:

As for the rest... thinking :smt017
kaz

Postby Kristin F. on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:43 pm

I think 3rd idea sounds exciting
You might start with covering the "lower edge" in photos and take it from there. I'm just a bit 'concerned' when you say you'll cover this edge with rocks - do you think they should be a bit smaller than the rock in photo?
I mean, the rock in photo 'just resting there' could be a narrow one only covering the edge, this one seems to stretch over half the stream(?)

Your stream looks great, the pebble-work is very nice.
Kristin F.

Postby seanmckinney on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:09 pm

Kristin, the rock just resting there goes about 1/2 to 2/3's of the way across the stream, which I am not sure if I like or dislike. The problem with "trying" rocks is that I generally have to cut them and then if I dont like the look the chances of it fitting somewhere else are remote, besides I am running out of rocks. So, it's pretty much a case of decide before I cut, the tunnel idea may actually save me few rocks. The problem that poses is supporting the veggy filter side of the flagstone, the veggie filter's wall isnt load baring, I have an idea but at the moment its just an idea.

Kaz, you mean you have a more modern design, I thought mine was state of the art.
seanmckinney

Postby retropwr on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:05 pm

Why make more work for yourself?
Once you get if running permanently won't the bottom of the stream get covered in algae anyway? The different finishes won't notice then.

I spent ages adding slate to the bottom of my stream which you can't see anymore.
Richard
retropwr

Postby seanmckinney on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:19 pm

It is possible if not likely that things will get dirty but the textures differ and that will hopefully standout.
seanmckinney

Postby Kristin F. on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:36 pm

hahahah, I second you on that one Richard, I spent a lot of time to pick small pebbles in various colours for my stream - but they all got the same colour in a short time due to algae

But maybe Sean is a bit more 'proper' than we are and rinses his stream regularly to keep it pristine at all times?

Sean??

btw Sean, reg. support for the veggie-wall; if you go for the tunnel effect you'll lay a flagstone over the dyed-cement-part to cover that with soil, is that the reason for supporting the Veggie-wall?
You also mentioned you would attach one of your imitation rock panel to that edge of the stream - isn't that enough support?
..or am I missing something here :smt115
Kristin F.

Postby seanmckinney on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:09 pm

The imitation rock panel is what I was thinking of to support the flagstone or rather a panel cement version of it.
seanmckinney

Postby seanmckinney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:34 pm

I made a template for the tunnel roof.
seanmckinney

Postby Kristin F. on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:15 pm

Sean, you may want to shoot me after reading this ..

How about;
-begin with covering/hiding all edges. Veggie filter walls, stream walls.
-because in my opinion your stream is very nice, allow it to show-off and don't cover it with a tunnel roof to begin with.
-It doesn't really matter that a part of it is dyed cement and other half is pebbles, it looks (to me) very nice and is such a shame to cover it & hide it.

When I look at the pictures, my fingers start itching (remember, this is only my personal opinion & Icy spicy taste) :idea:

Obviously you like to be thorough and precise. Your work shows that you do give yourself a lot of time to do things properly instead of finish in a haste.
-So;
1. At the lower stream-wall on photo's, fill with soil and plant a few small plants close to the edge. You have a few ferns there already - just add soil & plants behind ferns close to the stream wall.
Then, attach small / narrow rocks on the edge to cover the liner.
2. Attach the imitation rock panel to the upper stream wall/Veggie wall and add small/narrow rocks on top on the edge.
3. Use that same method (narrow rocks) on the Veggie filter walls.

When you've done that, it will look much more natural. In my opinion the black edges & walls are too visual, when I look at your stream my attention goes direct to the edges & walls instead of the beautiful details f.ex. pebbles (and 'Buddha rock').

After doing this, when all edges are hidden, the whole stream will have a dramatically different visual effect.
Not to mention if Water Carrier is in place too :wink:

Well, what da'ya think? (preparing your shotgun or..?)
Kristin F.

Postby seanmckinney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:31 pm

Ahhhh, too late I am afraid, I have decided to go for the tunnel and have the roof cut and the cement for the wall setting in situ, I can't go back on that now as the cement is plain undyed cement. Bit annoyed though as I found the perfect rock the non buddha end of the tunnel and cut it to fit over the flagstone perfectly. It needed cutting to fit between the stream walls and I measured it, marked and cut it, lovely neat cut, IN THE WRONG CHUFFING PLACE. :shock: I took about an inch too much off, CHUFF IT. :evil: Now there is a whopping great gap between the end of the rock and the wall of the stream.
seanmckinney

Postby Kristin F. on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:36 pm

hmm, post a pic
Kristin F.

Postby seanmckinney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:00 pm

A photo of what? Shuttered setting cement isnt too thrilling and the rock cant go back in to situ for a day or so
seanmckinney

Postby kaz on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:46 pm

Thank heavens that's sorted... I was totally lost again :oops: I think its the way you describe things... we are far more basic when articulating in Essex :roll:
kaz

Postby Kristin F. on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:32 pm

Ok Sean, it will be great for sure ;)

Kaz, my brain is still steaming :smt087
Kristin F.

Next

Return to Pond talk