Can't figure this out!

Talk about our ponds here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Can't figure this out!

Postby Peterkins on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:32 pm

Hi everyone, I have a problem which I can't find an answer to. The water in my pond is going down about an inch a day. The pump feeds the filter which in turn feeds two outlets, one goes directly back to the pond, the other, to a small preform which has a lip which flows into the pond. I thought at first I had a liner leak untill I turned off the feed to the preform and had no decrease in water level, then I thought perhaps there was a crack in the preform but it continues to hold water, I can't find any water creep around the lip of the preform and none of the pipe joints are leaking, no damp spots anywhere I can see. I am baffled anyone got any ideas? Many thanks Peter.
Peterkins

Postby seanmckinney on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:54 pm

In your climate what would evapouration account for when coupled with water movement?
seanmckinney

Postby Peterkins on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi everyone, Sean, evaperation is very slight in winter, maybe an inch a week, from the end of march when it really starts to warm up that can be up to an inch a day. Peter
Peterkins

Postby Rita on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:29 pm

Windy weather can also cause water levels to drop.
Rita

Postby Chas on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:49 am

An inch a day is too much for evaporation really even in hot summer, it can't be that now.

Most likely is a pipework leak somewhere I guess, given that it stops when you stop the pump.

I have had some losses recently from my little waterfall, due to the moss that has grown there and is wicking some water away (I'll have to get rid of it soon, but it doesn't really matter much at the moment), but you'd see if that was the case for yours. And an inch a day is quite a lot even for that.

Are you able to close off either of the 2 exits from the filter, to try and track down which it might be?
Chas

Postby AJC on Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:46 pm

I agree with Chris, somethign is dripping somewhere.
AJC

Postby Peterkins on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:58 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I have had a big build up of moss too this could be wicking water from the lip of the small water fall but the loss seems too much for this to be the only reason, guess I will have to check all the pipe work again. Peter
Peterkins

Return to Pond talk