pond project problem

Talk about our ponds here

Moderators: alison, sonny

pond project problem

Postby aaron1123 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:39 pm

hi this is the first time ive started a project for a pond and this is the only place i can make it behind a shed and so it does not get much sun and the big problem for me is where to put all the soil here is my process so far in 3 days

aaron1123

Postby kaz on Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:55 pm

Hi Aaron

I'm hopeless with advice... but make the pond as big as poss. As for the excess soil... any room for a rockery / waterfall? Keep us up-to-date with progress :)
kaz

Postby alison on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:01 pm

Hi Aaron :D Good you managed the photo's here. It is already looking much better than what you started with. Can you give us the measurements of the pond area so we have a better idea of how big the pond will be when it is dug out.
Kaz has a good idea about a rockery. There may be other areas in your garden that would look nice with a mound of earth made into a rockery. I'm guessing that maybe your mum did the gardening before and you didn't take much notice being a teenager. I don't think any of my boys would have thought about it either. Also if you already have flower borders near the fencing maybe you could just top up the soil over them. Do try to keep the edge of the soil away from the fence though as it would in time rot the wood away. Does the neighbour need any soil where he has filled in his pond, you could give it to him.
I can also let you have some plants to go in the pond when it is ready if you would like. Don't forget to put a little about yourself and your garden etc in the 'introduce yourself' thread if you get a minute :wink:
alison

Postby Kristin F. on Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:42 pm

Hi Aaron and welcome! :D

Look forward to seeing more - I'm thinking that you might want the pond to be quite deep so the fish will thrive well, given that the space is very small - increased dept will give more water volume, I agree with Kaz's suggestion to make the pond as big as possible ;)

Please keep us posted - and thanks for the photos (we love photos :D)
Kristin F.

Postby aaron1123 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:33 pm

it would be a big rockery with all this soil and my neigbours pond was raised so he never really dug down hes alredy got it coverd like the pond never existed paved over to match the rest of the patio.

Ill get some measurments when the sun rises.
aaron1123

Postby Tricia on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:11 pm

Hi Aaron and welcome!

The suggestion of a waterfall is good too. If you pile soil at one end you could build up the sides with rocks, sink your filter and build a waterfall - or buy a ready-made one like I did :).
Tricia

Tricia

Postby aaron1123 on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:45 am

i wasnt being clear enough sorry im not going to have any filter pumps or waterfalls etc.
aaron1123

Postby alison on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:50 pm

I'm just wondering if you could have a raised one with the soil you take out. I was thinking that when we did our last pond the shallow end was created by piling up the soil taken out from the shelf of the old pond and put straight up on the grass so that the depth in the old pond remained the same but the new longer shallows became shallow not by digging down but by piling up. (By - that was a long sentance :shock: ) Do you understand what I am trying to get at. I am just thinking that you could start your digging in the middle and pile all the way round. That way not having to dig out so much and having no problem getting rid of the soil.
Another thing I was going to ask was on the photo with the little bit of sun shining, is that the only time you get sun there or does it get a bit better as the day progresses. It looks like where it is now the sun will not hit the pond at all so I don't know if that will be okay for the plants to grow and the water to warm at all. Then again I don't suppose the frogs will be sunbathing :roll:
alison

Postby aaron1123 on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:39 pm

ahhh i see what your getting at there i think. Add the soil you dug up,(punctuation?) to the surface of the ground so you build up as you dig down?

For the sun it does get a bit better the sun goes up along the side of the right fence and this is where the shelf area will be.
aaron1123

Postby alison on Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:08 pm

Yes that was what I was getting at. Not as much digging but a wider pond with a deep part in the middle. Then you just put the liner over the lot and fill up. Make sure that you do get it level though so that there isn't a lot of liner showing in one area. Bit warm for the digging at the moment but it's good exercise, seeing as you are a young lad I'm sure you'll get it done in no time. :smt023
alison

Postby aaron1123 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:04 pm

diggings gonna slow up now since ive now got my first job as a maintinence carpentry assistant at warwickshire hospital yay!

ill do digging at the weekend but with the job i can buy all the stuff i need.
aaron1123

Postby alison on Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:17 pm

Congratulations :smt041 What a wonderful start to your week.
alison

Postby kaz on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:36 pm

Any up-date on your progress?
kaz

Re: pond project problem

Postby aaron1123 on Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:11 pm

hey all long time no speak ive finally got the urge to carry on i havent taken a pic yet but ive got the deep part mostly dug out roots are a problem to get out of the way some i had to take a saw to so if next doors tree turns brown witch they actually sort of made a half hearted attempt of cutting it down i have around 100 to 200 pound to spend after i spent my hard earned money on a playstation3 and a 37 inch hdtv lol.
aaron1123

Re: pond project problem

Postby kaz on Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:20 am

Looking forward to seeing pics of your progress (haha... men and their toys... Scott is just the same :roll:).
kaz

Next

Return to Pond talk