At the same time Britain is "drowning"...

Talk about our ponds here

Moderators: alison, sonny

At the same time Britain is "drowning"...

Postby Kristin F. on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:10 pm

I just can't believe it .. really!

OK, bear with me LOL - you see, given my climate and temperatures ...

I NEVER EVER expected my Lilies to BLOOM!!!!

And now my N. Marliacea Rosea is opening a bud :)

N. Marliacea Rosea is my "favorite", it is the first Lilie I purchased and put in my old pond. It has been generous with leaves/pads, and just so pretty to look at.

It has golden stamens, and the pads appear in the color Maroon when they reach the surface, in a few days the pads change their colours to dark green.

I've had buds appear before - last summer actually - but they have never openend before.
We have had very sunny weather for the last month and the pond is in full sun from 7am to 6pm
The pond water temps have been stable at 68-72°F for a month, so I suppose that is making the difference.

oh, and instead of green algae - the pond has BROWN algae ..??
-what on earth is that for? LOL

TADA! Photos from today;

Now tell me - why does it close again at night?

..and Parrot Feathers from Marie Fernlady in U.S.A - I stuffed them in my suitcase together with my dirty laundry when I returned from my visit to the U.S. in May LOL

Reflections on a blank surface..

My view from the "working on my tan" mattress LOL

A blurry photo of my petite péche - brown algae you see..

oh, maybe it's in a blur because of my photograper skills

This is Nymphaea Laydekeri Lilacea, it is sending up lots of buds

Notice the little yellow Goldfish with the black stripe on it's back - I've never seen this colour combination before
..his name is Doff! (I name all my fish LOL)

just one more Fish photo - the butterfly Sanke is really gorgeous. Too bad the photo is a lousy one..

In this photo you can see the brown algae in the water - and on the surface of the skimmer.
I have actually changed filterpads and added more filtration and it's helping a bit.

I also added a remedy for green algae, and it is gradually clearing up the water..

I swear, this is what the sky looks like these days - actually for almost a month!
-oh, except for the helicopter LOL

Another "Fleur de Bloom" in the garden

AND - my Laburnum is about to bloom too! (also called Gold Chain Tree)

oh, I'm drowning you with photos .. am so flippin happy that I just can't restrain myself :)

it is my joy, I've been working for this moment for a whole year, right? LOL
I mean, a year ago when I was out here, digging in the rain, ..I knew.. just knew, that one day I would be sitting at a garden table under a parasol/sunshade, writing on my Lap-top and sipping something refreshing .. overlooking a gorgeous pond and waterfall, lovely green grass and plants.
Well, our good Lord has been generous - I'm wearing "small clothes" and it is almost as warm as Mississippi out here! LOL
-and for days on, really - it has been so delightfully sunny and warm for 3 weeks in a row - which is very unusual up here might I add.

I need to water the lawn and plants every other night.

You won't believe how pleased I am! Thank you God!!
-oh, I feel so blessed to have this home and beautiful garden ..
I'm planting lots of plants along the fences - oh, that might call for a new thread on the other side :).

By the way, I'm on vacation for 6 weeks! (State employment, you know, and I'm over 40 so xtra days also)
I started my vacation last Monday and will start working again in August 22nd.

I'm going to dangle my feet here while the weather is so great and there are lots of things to attend to inside & outside (mainly outside though LOL)
Then I might put my Bullie & Miss Fluffy in the back seat of my Volvo and take off somewhere ..
Kristin F.

Re: At the same time Britain is "drowning"...

Postby alison on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:14 pm

Kristin :D What a difference a year makes...... How wonderful to see the pond and garden looking so lovely. You did a brilliant job. If the helicopter wasn't in the skyblue photo I would think you had posted a blue painted box. What a wonderful blue. It is so vibrant especially as our skies at the moment are grey. :( :( I like your garden gnome. Has he got a name?
alison

Postby AJC on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:35 pm

Very nice kristin, congrates on your lilly flower :)
AJC

Postby Tricia on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:14 am

Kristin, your pond is lovely. I really envy you the clear water and the reflections in the photos are beautiful.
Tricia

Tricia

Postby Kristin F. on Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:32 pm

Thanks all :)

Alison, such fun that you noticed my Gnome .. I just love that cute little fellow ;)
-but no, he hasn't got a name yet

Any suggestions???????
Kristin F.

Return to Pond talk