Poor Sparrow

Talk about our ponds here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Poor Sparrow

Postby alison on Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:44 am

Today I was quite shocked when I saw floating in the pond a dead sparrow :( . Normally they come to bathe and drink in the waterfall and generally have a good footing. I am not sure if it fell in from the waterfall or from one of the sides near the waterfall or if it just died midair and fell down. I suppose I will never know, but I just thought it was unusual. I can't say it has ever happened before.
alison

Re: Poor Sparrow

Postby dampflippers on Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:40 am

Oh dear. Maybe it had been attacked by a cat or sparrowhawk first.
dampflippers

Postby alison on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:28 am

There didn't seem to be any injuries that I could see. :( I wondered if it had lost it's footing in the waterfall and been taken for a water slide and gone under for a while. Well I guess it will be something that we will never know for sure. it seems unusual though.. :smt017
alison

Postby AJC on Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:40 pm

probebly just an old bird alison, its this time of year that sees the real old and weak ones off first, winter takes care of the others :(
AJC

Postby alison on Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:50 pm

Yes I suppose that is true. I haven't sen the old balding blackbird either for quite a while now. We saw another one that seemed to have a few white patches and couldn't make up our minds wether it was a different bird or the old one with a bunch of new black feathers. :?
alison

Postby AJC on Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:11 pm

Actually ya probebly have seen ya blackbird, being bald dont mean they old lol, if you look you will see its common amongst birds in breeding season, blue tits and great tits are known for it if they have a large brood, blackbirds if they have a 3rd brood, the feathers grow back once the young are feeding themselve, they lose feathers on tier heads coz they nackered not old :)
AJC

Return to Pond talk