Solar air stones

Talk about our ponds here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Solar air stones

Postby dampflippers on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:02 pm

My main pond (the one with the sticklebacks) is still very green and cloudy.
So yesterday I made an impulse buy at B&Q of a solar air stone (with 2 stones). Do you think this will help with clarity, or just help raise oxygen levels for pondlife?
Anyone tried one?
dampflippers

Re: Solar air stones

Postby AJC on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:19 pm

it wont help much with the clarity at i'm affraid, but yeah it will certainly add more oxygen to the water which isnt a bad thing for fish and wild life.

only draw back is it might also encourage blanket weed to grow! has been know for air stones to add enough oxygen to wake it up, although i doubt that one would run long enough on a single charge to cause you to many probs.

I have a huge air pump and 6 stones placed around the pond, but I only use it when needed, like after a storm our very hot weather when CO2 levels can drop drasticly, it chucks out huge ammounts of oxygen, makes the pond (3000 gal) look like its boiling, but it restores oxygen levels quickly so i have it on less to reduce the risk of BW, yours maybe better used for that, but its worth trying it to see, you will soon notice if the BW is going to start forming from it, often murky green water is the lower form of algea that can become blacket weed when fed the right conditions, sun light and oxygen is most common cause in starting string algea off.

I used to run air stones as a matter of course, but the BW always formed on the balls and quickly spread outwards, but they do work well if the pond is in full shade, but that dont help if its solar powered :lol:
AJC

Re: Solar air stones

Postby dampflippers on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:48 am

I'll watch out for the blanket weed- thanks for the warning.
dampflippers

Return to Pond talk