Pond number 3 finished!

Talk about our ponds here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Pond number 3 finished!

Postby dampflippers on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:54 am

I've just finished pond number three! Well, sort of. Originally I was going to put a bog garden at one end and a raised hibernaculum for amphibians (rocks, logs raised bed type thing), but time ran out.
The pond is a preformed shell 500L I got from freecycle (free), and it was more difficult to install than I expected. The end where the hibernaculum will be I found a bumblebee nest under some old plant trays (rough grass area), and the other end I was fed up with digging so that will come later.
Because where it is sometimes floods a bit, I decided to raise it a bit. The soil is so bad, this means I have been able to add a better layer of soil, supported by rocks, with a planting bed all round. I couldn't resist a scabious I saw yesterday. It wass literally buzzing with bumblebees. In fact I was walking around the nursery with one!
I'm afraid it looks pretty artificial at the moment, but I've planted lots in the hope it willl soon soften.

I made the decision that all the plants in the water will be natives, so no canadian pond weed. So far I have managed to keep the azolla out of it, and I'm being careful not to transfer any sticklebacks. I still have some tadpoles, so some of them and some newt tadpoles have gone in.
dampflippers

Re: Pond number 3 finished!

Postby kaz on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:10 am

Pond number 3... now who does that remind me of? Any photos to share?
kaz

Postby dampflippers on Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:40 pm

I'm not Sean!

Can I upload photos onto this board, or only link to them from another website?
dampflippers

Postby alison on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:05 pm

Sonny says you can upload them straight onto here or from another site. I think as long as they are on the internet somewhere they can be put on. Of course I always wait for sonny to put them on for me :smt008 or to put them into a format that I can just copy and paste using the img button above this reply box.
I knew the prefab would be a bit difficult to install but it sounds like you have done wonders as usual. I must put my really tiny prefab in as the girls keep asking me if I have done it yet. The only problem is where to put it. It was the old pond that my sister had before we made her pond last summer and it is only tiny but I think it would be ideal to keep the frogspawn away from the fish.
alison

Postby dampflippers on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:05 am

Photos of new pond uploaded direct to this site.
(Not sure what has happened to the bottom one)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dampflippers

Postby dampflippers on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:10 am

A more artistic view
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dampflippers

Postby retropwr on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:07 pm

Nice job you've done there.
Being so flexible those preforms can be a real pain to get level.
Richard
retropwr

Postby kaz on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:34 am

How pretty everything looks... well done damp :D. It won't take long for the planting to soften the look... your large pond is perfect!
kaz

Postby alison on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:44 pm

I told you Richard would know :lol: Yes what a splendid job. I like all your stones round the edge. They always make it look bigger somehow. That is what I will do when I finally get round to finding somewhere for the tiny preform I have. I was looking at it today and it has filled right up with all the rain we have had lately (We are having a thunderstorm at the moment) and it is filled with duckweed and watercress. I wonder if any little creatures have inhabited it already.
Your large pond does look good. No wonder you have all the lovely pond creatures living in it. Yesterday I went to pick up Bethany and Lucy from school and they have a pond in the grounds which they showed me. It was so clear right to the bottom and straight away there was a newt and some tiny froglets to be seen. The wildlife ponds do look so much nicer. :D
alison

Return to Pond talk