My daphnia nursery

Talk about our ponds here

Moderators: alison, sonny

My daphnia nursery

Postby dampflippers on Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:03 pm

My daphnia nursery is working well!
I'm still buying bags of daphnia fpr the newts and babies, and to try to clear my green water (which is now improving), but I have a daphnia nursery up and running.
It is a plastic storage box which I filled with seived green water from my stickleback pond (didn't want any fish in it).
I added some daphnia and an escape stick and left it for a few weeks.
Now when I need daphnia I get my tiny white aquarium net with small white mesh and swish it around a few times. I get a small amount of very energetic daphnia which I empty into the ponds.
My new pond is beginning to clear (I can see the plants at the bottom again), and I can see the daphnia, so lots od food for the newt efts I have transferred into it.
dampflippers

Re: My daphnia nursery

Postby alison on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:38 pm

That's such a brilliant idea. I must admit that when I have bought bags of daphnia I have also thought about letting some live in a bucket or container but I just never got round to doing it. Obviously it would be well worth trying it. I didn't realise that they help to clear the water. I could do with putting a bucket load in my pond right away.
alison

Re: My daphnia nursery

Postby dampflippers on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:11 pm

I presume that it happens because they take up the nutrients that the algae would use to grow- or it may be that they actually "feed" on the algae.
Having said that, the nursery is still very green, but leaves and petals have been falling in it.
dampflippers

Return to Pond talk