Spring amphibians- go out with a torch!

Talk about our ponds here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Spring amphibians- go out with a torch!

Postby dampflippers on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi,
No frogspawn yet, but last night I went out with a torch and found 1 pair of frogs on the lawn, and at least 3 pairs in my main pond.
There were 2 male smooth newts in my newest pond, where you can see into the pond better.
Today I spotted one smooth newt in my main pond.

Soo... go out with a torch tonight and report back. Walk carefully- no squishing!
dampflippers

Re: Spring amphibians- go out with a torch!

Postby AJC on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:02 am

Seen the first ones in my pond, earler than normal, but there here :)
AJC

Postby Ponddipperdave on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 pm

My first frogs appeared last Wednesday - early for here.
Lots of activity no spawn yet.
oh, by the way, HI EVERYBODY.
Dave
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby AJC on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:26 pm

My small pond is overflowing with spawn! and i still got loads of paired frogs, someone must have filled in thier pond around here, i seem to have double + the normal ammount, twice as much spawn and twice as much noise lol
AJC

Postby alison on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Alan do you have 2 ponds? I remember you putting pictures on a long time back and one I thought was a formal type pond with koi. I didn't realise that you had some frogs. I just love my frogs. I haven't had as many back this year but they have laid well enough. There are a few ponds within our street so maybe a few have been waylaid.
alison

Postby AJC on Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:00 pm

yes i have two alison, almost side by side, one is the koi pond, 4.000 gallons the other is much smaller about a 1200 gallons and has a few goldfish and commets, which is where the frogs are, well most of them, i keep finding them in the koi pond sump lol, where the mucky water from the koi filter is flushed before its pumped onto the garden, i dont even know how they get in there, but they do.
AJC

Postby alison on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:51 pm

I think mine is about 1200-1500 gallons. Can't be too sure as it does get shallower for part of it. It must be great to have one with 4000 gallons. I had a very small pond given to me when I made my sister a larger pond. It is more like a puddle really but I am hoping to dig it in somewhere near the large pond to put most of the spawn in so it isn't eaten by the fish. Hopefully after a few seasons they will be good in number.
alison

Postby AJC on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:55 pm

well for last 4-5 years the spawning hasnt been very good, maybe 12 clumps of spawn, and very few full size tadpoles in july, but this year theres about 30 clumps, so i expect the garden to be swarming with millions of mii frogs again, like it used to be.

we had red leg here, but i havent seen any sign of it this year, so maybe thats part of why its picked up, anyway its nice to see so many again, even tho they do drive me mad wheile working in the garden lol, so many frogs makes for a lot of croaking just after spawning!!!!! :lol:

i even had a pair in the koi filter this year, and how the hell they scaled a vitical 30" wall i have no idea!
AJC

Return to Pond talk