What difference do you think your pond has made to the local

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

What difference do you think your pond has made to the local

Postby seanmckinney on Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:57 pm

I quite seriously think mine have upped the numbers of frogs. Spring 1 I remember 1 or 2 clumps of frog spawn, last year maybe 8 and this I reckon 12 and climbing. Now either more frogs are finding the ponds or the ponds have upped the populations.
The birds certainly seem to like them.
seanmckinney

Postby Peterkins on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:07 pm

Hi everyone, Sean my ponds seem to attract every dog in the nieghbourhood! Our nearest piece of water is at least a mile away and that's a sewage works but we still have a large number of frogs, dragon flies, and Damsel flies. I don't think we have newts here in Israel or at least I haven't seen any but we do sometimes have fire salamanders and a whole herd of hedgehogs who come for a drink. Most of these I don't think we would see without the ponds, I almost forgot the mongooses that sometimes visit. Peter
Peterkins

Postby alison on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:18 pm

I certainly didn't have anywhere near the amount of birds in my garden till I did the ponds. They love to come and drink and bathe in the waterfall. Even large birds are seen flying down for a drink. Especially the appearance of the sparrowhawk has been wonderful.
The first year I had just one clump of frogspawn given to me with one live frog. The second year I got 30 frogs back. Then I introduced larger fish in the pond and the frogs coming back that year went down to about 22. But from then onwards they have just increased till last year we got 51 and lots of clumps of spawn so I can't wait to see how many are going to come this year. Last night we had about 14 so they are on their way.
The pond hasn't only been a local success though because people seeing our pond have wanted their own and we have been able to help with building and planting up new ponds, so new life is expanding each year.
I am just grateful to have such a wonderful privilege of having nature all around me.
alison

Postby Anyanka on Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:56 am

There was no pond in our garden at all two years ago, nor in most of the neighbouring ones (except in my own garden next door, but it was tiny). Last year, our pond played hosts to multitudes of toad tadpoles and many many baby newts - that must make a difference! Birds bathe in it, loads of insects breed in it too. I feel quite proprietorial and maternal towards all the creatures that live in the pond...
Anyanka

Return to Pondlife