Newt Update

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Newt Update

Postby Ponddipperdave on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:29 pm

Hi all,
How's everybody's Newts doing?
I have now got 5 Newt Nurseries in operation. I have been transferring about 5 aday since March. The babies are still hatching out but slowing down. Only found 3 today. Here is one that couldn't wait for me to put him in the pond.Image
These 2 I found this evening.
Dave[/img]
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby TonyM on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:55 am

Hi Dave

I keep waiting for newts to appear in my wildlife pond. Its been there three years but I haven't seen a newt yet. We have newts in the area but perhaps I need to give them a helping hand?

ICQ is a community website http://WWW.ICQ.COM and when you register they give you a number.

Tony
TonyM

Postby alison on Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:32 pm

Your newts are lovely Dave. I am sure that the eggs I had on my Starwort were not fertilized as I got nothing from them at all. In fact even the Starwort didn't survive for some reason. Only the duckweed !! I have also lost my Marsh Marigold this year as well and the purple loosestrife and yet the Iris and Water Lillies are doing so well that they are fighting with the primrose willow that has also taken over the pond. Lots of cover and no newts to take cover in it :cry:
alison

Postby seanmckinney on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:13 pm

aint seen one since the spring :(
seanmckinney

Postby Ponddipperdave on Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:03 pm

Do you want More next year ?
Maybe a month later?
sorry about the duckweed I tried to wash it out maybe I washed the eggs away as well ?
Anyway, keep it separate, just top up with tapwater when evaporation occurrs and you'll be okay
also
I had left one of those garden rubble binbags on the grass about ten yards from the pond, when I moved it, about 20 froglets hopped away and two tiny docile newts had snuggled up in there. Now I leave one there on purpose to see what collects. I remember in my ponddipping days, the best place to catch Newts was from under old carrier bags left by Anglers, either in the shallows or in the Mud above the waterline.
Dave
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby alison on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:25 am

Yes I would like some more next year please. I kept the duckweed in a small tank about 3ft away from the pond and now the pond is full of it, so I guess the spores must carry in the wind or something. I quite like the duckweed though as long as it doesn't get too out of hand.
So glad your newts are doing so well.
alison

Return to Pondlife