Pond water

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Pond water

Postby jac1 on Fri May 04, 2007 6:43 pm

Last year my pond water turned completely green. This was the second year I'd had the pond. This year it's crystal clear yet the weather's been warmer. I think it's because there are lots of tadpoles and they're eating any algae. Has anyone else noticed this? The other difference this year is we switched off the pond pump to let the tadpoles survive, so maybe it's because the water's not moving. What do you think?
jac1

Postby dampflippers on Sat May 05, 2007 11:44 am

I don't think turning off the pump has anything to do with it....but what is the pump for- filter, fountain, waterfall?
Wait a bit longer before you claim a green free pond! I thought mine last year coincided with petalfall.
But yes, tadpoles do eat algae.
dampflippers

Postby alison on Wed May 09, 2007 9:03 pm

They love eating it. Sometimes you can see exactly where they have been as the liner is completely clear where they have eaten it all. They love to hide in it as well.
alison

still clear

Postby jac1 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:19 am

Well the water is still fairly clear in my pond, I can see the bottom whereas last year it was a bit pea-soupy. There are still lots of tadpoles and some are beginning to form small legs. The pump was for a waterfall and this has been switched off since the end of March. I managed to get one of the solar floating lilypad fountains for the amazing price of £7.50 in my local Homebase. The boxes had been left outside all winter and they were selling them off so I thought it was worth a try. However, during a recent very sunny spell the pump stopped working so I went to investigate only to discover that even this small pump was managing to chew up my large tadpoles.(The sponge filter over the pump had come off) So I got one of those puff sponge things for the shower, cut it up and wrapped it round the pump and it seems to have done the trick. I have noticed that we have much more life in our pond this year without the main pump on. I think I want to dig another small pond for still water in a sunnier part of the garden so I can have the sound of running water and the benefits of more wildlife. Then I'll be happy ......for a wee while anyway.
jac1

Re: Pond water

Postby alison on Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:32 am

My pond sometimes looks quite murky in the deep end and I cannot see right down, yet in the shallow end it is so clear. I presume it is the little particles of debris that makes it murky. What I have noticed this year is that I haven't got as much blanket weed or string algae or whatever it is called. The tadpoles still got twisted up in it if I tried to pull it out and of course you have to wait for it to become a bit more solid or otherwize it all falls back into little particles and goes everywhere. The little bugs seem to love it as well so when I was clearing it out I would take a bit of time to catch all the bugs and put them back into the pond. I actually like the feel of it. It is a bit like hair from the hairbrush. I love the fact that if you do get hold of it and pull it gently, loads of it comes away altogether so making it easier to collect it all and get rid. I normally leave some in for feeding the taddies etc.
alison

Return to Pondlife