Do Goldfish have Whiskers?

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Do Goldfish have Whiskers?

Postby alison on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:50 am

I bought yesterday a couple of sarasa comets (one died overnight :( ) and a silver goldfish. I noticed on the silver one that it had a small 'whisker' either side of it's mouth and wasn't sure if Goldfish have these and can you get a goldfish that is completely silver? It was in a place that I haven't been before which is an old smallholding I think called Pikes water lillies, along a dirt track which had two wonderful really huge ponds full of beautiful waterlilies all flowering profusely and a large clump of pickeral weed which was also flowering.
Then I noticed all of the fish in tanks in really large greenhouses and the ones we bought were only very small about 3 inches maybe. Only cost me £3 each for the comets and £2 for the silver goldfish so I was okay about that until the lovely comet with a beautiful tail died on me :smt010 . They all looked healthy enough and the water coming into all the tanks was directly from the outside ponds and lovely and clean.
Have I got a silver goldfish then or is it something different???
alison

Re: Do Goldfish have Whiskers?

Postby retropwr on Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:19 pm

Having whiskers I suspect that the fish you have are Ghost Koi
Richard
retropwr

Postby alison on Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:59 pm

I do have a gold ghost koi which is obviously marked with a golden head and mostly the other colour is grey. I also had a silver ghost which lost all it's silver colour and turned completely black. This particular new fish is a bright silvery-white colour not at all the same as my ghost koi. I probably won't see it much as it is now in the pond so I think it will be happy amongst the weeds.
alison

Postby retropwr on Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:41 am

Having the whiskers points to it being a Koi doesn't it? It's probably got some fancy name :) Not being a Koi keeper myself I stand to be corrected but don't ghosties come in several flavours these days?
Richard
retropwr

Return to Pondlife