First toads? what date to expect?

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

First toads? what date to expect?

Postby dampflippers on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi,
Does anyone who keeps records know what date toads become active and what date to expect first toadspawn?
dampflippers

Re: First toads? what date to expect?

Postby alison on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:39 pm

All I know is that they tend to come a little later than frogs. The frogs have always had their spawn down for a while before the toads come into the water for mating. Quite a few weeks I would have thought looking at the state of the frogspawn in the pond at Lotherton Hall last year. It was well sunk and starting to go the browner colouring when I first noticed the toad spawn appear.
alison

Postby alison on Sat May 03, 2008 4:38 pm

For the first year ever in my 11 year ponding I have toadspawn. Bethany noticed it in amongst the roots of the yellow flag Iris. For about a week now I have heard a different croak to the normal frog purring. I wasn't sure at the time if it was a toad but now I would say so. One toad was with the spawn today, but I don't know how long it has been lain as I have quite a silty pond at the moment and it was covered with a layer of silt. Bethany was adamant that she could see the black tadpoles inside the long strings so that is good enough for me. My eyes are not so clever these days.
I am so pleased to have finally had the toads as well as frogs as I have seen a lonely toad each year for probably 3 years now so it is wonderful that there is now a mate. Hurrah :D
It is as I expected though, about a month after the frogs laid their spawn that the toads came.
alison

Postby dampflippers on Sat May 03, 2008 11:09 pm

Congratulations!
I've never had toadspawn (nor seen an adult toad here). Hope the fish don't eat it.
dampflippers

Return to Pondlife