Wow! Frogspawn!

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Wow! Frogspawn!

Postby Tricia on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:41 am

I was so excited when I found a large splodge of frogspawn floating on my pond this morning. It's probably much too early, but we don't get much in the way of real frosts here in the southwest, so I'm hoping to see lots of tadpoles emerge eventually. I knew there was one frog about as I almost tripped over him/her last Autumn, but I've never seen more than one at any one time, so I'm thrilled to know my little garden does seem to be home to at least two :D . I never thought that my pond, being in the middle of a large paved area, would attract much in the way of wildlife.
Tricia

Tricia

Re: Wow! Frogspawn!

Postby dampflippers on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:52 am

Congratulations Mum! Is it your first ever in your pond- it sounds like it.
Pop out tonight with a torch to see if there is any more activity.
dampflippers

Postby alison on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:15 pm

How brilliant Tricia. They always are earlier down south than here. It could be another month before we see any activity. Even though with this kind of winter that we have had they probably haven't really hidden themselves away. I have found them in the pond moving about. But there are no mating calls as yet..
alison

Postby alison on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:01 pm

Last night there was the familiar croak croak purr purr and today I saw 2 males stuck together with a poor female sandwiched in the middle. I hope she survives. They are the only ones so far. I would think that they are the juveniles as they tend to arrive first (well I say juveniles but they are quite large probably 2 years old.) I will wait to see if more arrive during the day. Last year we had 52 which was our maximum ever so I will try to count them again this year and see if we do better. :D
alison

Postby Ponddipperdave on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:14 pm

No frogspawn here in Manchester yet but a lot of activity.
It's the earliest i've seen them here.
Dave
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby Tricia on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:49 pm

Frogspawn 11 Feb 2008 (Small).jpg
Frogspawn 11 Feb 2008 008.jpg

This is my frogspawn this morning - with what I think is toadspawn encircling it. It wasn't there yesterday - the double lines form a triangle round the frogspawn and there are two lines alongside the greenery as well.

I hope that I get some of each eventually. Neither frogs or toads would have far to go for their slug or snail supper. My garden is already crawling with the blighters.

I wonder if my plastic frog thermometer influenced them to spawn where they did? :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tricia

Tricia

Postby alison on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:17 am

Tricia How fantastic :D You should be so proud to have both frogs and toads so near together. It just shows how the temperature down south has such a bearing on the wildlife. Nothing doing up here. :(
It will be hard to tell the frog and toadspawn apart when they are tadpoles, I think toadspawn taddies are slightly darker than frogspawn taddies (at least up here they seem to be). I can't wait to see more pics.
alison

Postby Tricia on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:15 am

I guess I was too excited too soon. Although the toad spawn is still visible, the frogspawn seems to have disappeared.

Do fish eat frogspawn? I know they eat taddies.

I feel quite upset, but still hope to see some more spawn a bit later on, once it warms up a little.
Tricia

Tricia

Postby Ponddipperdave on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:33 pm

I have had a good 3 inches of ice over the last 5 days.
It finally melted overnight and I have about 50 croaking frogs today.
I also have one of those spinning balls of frogs with a poor female stuck in the middle.
No spawn yet, I expect to see some over this weekend.
Dave
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby AJC on Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:26 pm

yay i saw me first one yesterday! just the one tho lol
AJC

Postby Tricia on Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:00 pm

Now the toadspawn has disappeared too :( . I'm wondering if the golden orfe - I have one very large and two smaller ones - are the culprits. I'm told that goldfish wait till the spawn turns into taddies to have their feast. I hope the toads and frogs don't get discouraged and go elsewhere - it is so frustrating to see frog and toadspawn in my pond for the first time, only to have it disappear. I don't think it can have sunk to the bottom of the pond as it was laid on and in greenery.
Tricia

Tricia

Postby dampflippers on Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:23 pm

What a shame Tricia.
I always take some of my frogspawn out and keep it in bucket nurseries (with pond water and plenty of oxygenators) in case of disaster.
I wish I had toadspawn.
I must go out tonight with a torch to see if there is any activity. We had a very frozen pond this week, and so far I have only seen my one resident male around.

................I've just been out, and thre are 2 mail frogs waiting, and I spotted 2 male smooth newts too.
Now waiting expectantly!
dampflippers

Postby alison on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:21 pm

Oh Tricia, after you were so excited as well. I was just as excited as you because of the toadspawn. I was so hoping they would hatch for you.
I think the golden orfe are the culprits as well. Since we had introduced fish into our pond we know that some of the spawn and taddies are yummy food for the fish.
As to our frogs, So far we have had a couple of frogs in the pond but not the frenzy that comes when they all come back. Probably this coming week will find them all 'coming home'
I did have a laugh on Saturday though as I had been out shopping and came back to a message on my telephone answer machine from my sister. If you remember our son Darren and I built her a bigger pond last summer. (her first one was more of a puddle really) Well, I could hear she was out in her garden and I could hear both her and her husband nattering to each other about a couple of frogs which she thought were dead.
It was so funny to hear her describing to me how worried she was that the frog on top was dead but the frog underneath was moving it's legs. She hadn't really had frogs over wintering before and she was sure that they had died or were dying in the bottom of the pond and that there was another splayed out on the bottom. Of course all the time she was describing this to me she was also talking to her hubby and getting excited when she found a movement and the frog wasn't dead. Eventually the message ran out and I had just laughed all the way through it. I finally managed to get hold of her in the evening at my other sisters home where they had also built a pond last year and told her that there was nothing to worry about and the frogs were just mating. Well she laughed and said how naive they were, so she is now looking forward to some frogspawn.
alison

Postby Ponddipperdave on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:27 am

Well it's finally arrived,
Friday I had my first splodge of Spawn
Saturday I had eight and this evening, 24 separate splodges. One giant one where the spawn was first laid on Friday.
I will take 4 or 5 splodges out and put them in buckets with a bit of weed to ensure survival.
Better batten down the hatches for tonight !
Dave
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby Tricia on Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Gordon took pity on me and brought me some spawn from his pond which is thick with it. I now have it floating in a very large pond-plant container, where the fish can't get at it! There are already some squiggles to see but they are staying in or near the jellylike stuff.

I gave the large golden orfe away and am still trying to net the two smaller ones to give away too. Anyone have any good ideas as to how to successfully net them? All the fish dive for cover as soon as they sense my footsteps :smt017 .
Tricia

Tricia

Next

Return to Pondlife