How do I look after the spawn taken out.

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

How do I look after the spawn taken out.

Postby alison on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:48 pm

As Tricia has found to her cost the spawn laid has mainly been eaten by the fish. :( I am having the same problem as although (and this was much to my surprize) my frogs have laid over 40 clumps of spawn :D the fish have started to eat it.
I thought it was a safe amount and Kirsty and Ade came from Rotherham to collect some for their wildlife pond. They took two medium buckets of it and there was still about 30 clumps left. Now I am finding that all the stuff laid on the primrose willow and had sunk has been eaten by the fish and is no longer there. The rest of it accounts to less than 20 clumps now and I am worried that the fish will eat the lot. I have taken out a small amount and put it into my small fish tank (probably about 3 netfulls) which also produced a couple of small sticklebacks which I have taken out and put separate as someone wants those and I didn't fancy them eating all the spawn either.
Now I am left wondering how to look after them. They are in a glass tank so will that be a problem for the temperature of the water, as the glass will get colder/warmer depending on the weather. What do I need to put in with them and when they emerge into tadpoles what do I feed them on? I have seen them eat the fish flakes and I have heard people say cat food. Please give me some ideas. Thanks. :D
alison

Re: How do I look after the spawn taken out.

Postby alison on Sat May 03, 2008 4:28 pm

Well I don't know if anyone read this thread as no one gave me any information :( , but on reading the title just now I was in stitches because it is meant to mean "how do I look after the spawn that I have taken out of my pond" whereas as I read it just now it looked as if I was asking for comments on How I look myself.
Maybe no one else read it like that and thought of it as it was meant , but I just kept looking at it and saying to myself "How do I look?? How do I look?? what a stupid title I gave" and couldn't remember doing it. Then it sunk in when I started to read the message what I really meant it to say was about the spawn and not me. :lol: :lol:
Anyway the upshot is that there is no spawn to look after, as I ended up putting it back in the pond as some looked like it was dying and I thought it had a better chance in the pond with the fish, than in the tank. Hopefully some has survived.
alison

Postby Tricia on Sat May 03, 2008 11:33 pm

Have just had a couple of days in bed to rest my poor back so didn't see your message Alison till today.
The taddies that found their way into two rain buckets were returned to the pond after a few days as I noticed they seemed to be dieing off. There are lots of fat taddies round the sides of the pond and are feeding on the algae. Haven't seen them for the past few days though, so I must go and check them out tomorrow. They should be developing their legs soon I think.
It's been very frustrating not being able to get outside as the weather here has been quite good. I need to get my veggies planted out, but bending work is not on at the moment so I'll have to wait till Gordon is here to help me next Wednesday.
I've had to make a frame of bamboos criss-crossed over the pond to stop the seagulls landing on the water and stealing the fish food. This has never happened before. Seagulls and pigeons are the bane of my life in the garden. The gulls nest in the chimney pots of houses across the street and are always on the alert when I feed the fish. The bamboos look ugly (I need them anyway for my cucumber and tomato frames in the greenhouse very soon).
Tricia

Tricia

Postby Ponddipperdave on Sun May 04, 2008 10:48 pm

You look as lovely as ever Alison, but I'm not going to kiss your hands !!
I kept mine on the Windowsill in full sun but with brown paper down one side.
Evapouration takes a lot of the water out so I topped up with cold water in the late evening.
just a few oxygenators and some green slime for them to feed on.
Wait until the Taddies have been swimming freely for about a week then put a tiny drop of cat food in, about the size of a large fish food pellet.
Sit back and watch the feeding frenzy ! :D
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby alison on Mon May 05, 2008 9:47 pm

Thankyou Dave. :D Tricia I hope your back is feeling a lot better. I took myself off the Tramadol a week ago but not sure if it was a good idea after all as my ankle is back to feeling clamped so my back must be bad at the moment. I am still taking the gabapentin and the co-codamol and asprin every day so I had hoped that the tramadol could be got rid of without noticing. I have even been taking volteran cream, but am feeling that my asthma is suffering badly this last two days. Maybe the pollen count is affecting it, but it might be a trip to the hospital later for a nebuliser. Haven't dared take the asprin or volteral today.
Your taddies sound great. Nice and big. I haven't seen a single one in my pond so it doesn't bode well. My sister in law has done much better than me and my mother in law. Dave how are your taddies doing as you have billions.??
alison

Postby Ponddipperdave on Tue May 13, 2008 5:40 pm

Yes, I have a spare billion taddies if anyone wants some !
All of my buckets produced thousands as well as the pond which was half full.
It seems strange, but from one single clump of frogspawn I have gigantic taddies and teenie weenie ones.
Hundreds of Newts but no babies yet.
Where's Sean these days ?
Dave
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby dampflippers on Tue May 13, 2008 7:02 pm

I found some tiny smooth newt babies today- the first of the year.
dampflippers

Return to Pondlife