They are back..Hurrah

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Re: They are back..Hurrah

Postby Ponddipperdave on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:10 pm

The Tiny taddies eat things we cannot see so they will survive in anything but tap water.
Green water shows humans what the taddies feed on but they eat anything.
I found two big newts returning to the pond this evening.
Dave
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby alison on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:57 pm

I have noticed that in the little 'puddle' the algae is already starting on the edge of the sides so I am sure they will be okay. I have noticed that the tadpoles are in the shallows now in the big pond. It is amazing how they manage to hide under the silt so the fish don't notice them. I didn't realise that the spawn had hatched until I saw a couple of the tads. I thought the fish had managed to eat them up so I am so pleased that they have in some number survived their first installment of life.
alison

Postby alison on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:23 pm

The tads are really bulking up now in the big pond. They are hiding in the leaves and roots of the stripey grass so keeping well away from hungry mouths in the shape of big fish. In the little puddle only 7 taddies seem to have survived the move where I put 2 large netfulls of spawn in, but a lot of the spawn seems to have died off and was smelling on the bottom of the pond. Without having the problem of predators as in the big pond maybe these 7 tadpoles will have a greater chance of survival though.
alison

Postby Ponddipperdave on Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:50 pm

Disaster !
Tons of frogspawn, all went bad, even the stuff in the buckets.
I managed to save a few taddies that hatched in a bad bucket and the taddies that were in the spawn drying out in the pebbles were washed into the pond when I was topping up the pond with a hose. Overall I must have about 20 at the most. What has caused this?
The Newts came back and I have netted lots of 1st year juveniles. Newt tadpoles should be hatching soon, I'll watch for them closely.
Dave
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby alison on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:32 pm

Dave how awful :shock: :o You always have such success.
I think this is just a natural occurance every so often. I don't know why.
This happened to me last year. I had absolutely loads all in the bottom of the shallows when suddenly they all kind of disintigrated for no apparant reason. Nothing seemed in any way different to previous years. I couldn't understand it.
Maybe you could message froglife and ask them. I think it is froglife.org but I could be wrong so just google them. It would be good to know if there is a reason to this sad happening.
alison

Previous

Return to Pondlife