Sad demise

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Sad demise

Postby alison on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:04 pm

My golden orfe I fear has died. :( The last couple of weeks I have been treating my golden orfe. He is about 11 years old and last week I was just coming round into my garden with my youngest son when we saw the orfe in the plants just turning round or so we thought as I commented to my son how it was rare to see the girth of the orfe and really how big he was. Then I realised that he was not turning round but was on a constant side instead of being upright.
We got the net and pulled him out. He didn't make any move to try to get away which was very unusual. There were no marks on him and he looked really healthy. Nothing wrong in his gills either.
He weighs 4lbs and is quite a large fish but we decided eventually to salt bath him. We did this twice over a few days and he did seem to improve finally staying upright. But now we haven't seen him in 3 days. :(
We had thought that with no outside causes to see maybe he just was constipated after just starting back on dried food, but then he started going round in circles and stopping in the same place each rotation. When talking to our local pet shop guy who is quite knowledgable of pond fish he did wonder if he might have had a stroke. This seemed to make sense when seeing him swimming.
Anyway now I just don't know what to think. He always came up every day but no sighting is getting me worried. I can't see to the bottom of the pond so I don't know if he is dead or just keeping to the plants. I wondered if he had had another stroke making him unable to move but only time will tell now. maybe he will suddenly surface.
alison

Re: Sad demise

Postby alison on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:41 pm

:D Well after five days of no show suddenly tonight he surfaced. He is still a bit kinked but is straighter than before and seems to be upright and swimming better. I can't say how relieved I am. :D :D Hopefully the salt treatment did him good. They can live between 10 and 30 years so I hope he manages a lot more.
alison

Postby Tricia on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:25 pm

Good to hear that Alison. I have just one golden orfe which survived the flooding four years ago. It must be 7, maybe 8 years old by now - so it could easily outlive me!!
Tricia

Tricia

Postby alison on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Now the snow and ice has gone from the pond I decided to try to cut back my bogbean. This was the last place I had seen my golden orfe probably late october or early november he was still alive and trying his best with such a kinked body. After seeing him for the last time undere the bogbean, I was a bit uneasy when I pulled it up out of the pond to cut it back. No fish 'Hurrah' I thought. Then I took out quite a lot of watercress which had grown over the waterlilies. As I looked back from pulling it out I saw a very creamy circular item. It looked the colour of the top of a turnip and was larger than a turnip. I couldn't guess what it was so I put the net in to bring it out only to realise as I had it in the net that it was the remains of my golden orfe. There was no skin or head or tail etc just the creamy insides of half of it. The spiny bones all sticking up gave it away with the smell as a lot of it disintigrated through the holes in the net back into the pond. UGH it was horrible. I think it had lain in the waterlilies and when I pulled the cress away from them it dislodged it. At least now I know that he has finally died. He did well really. I hope he didn't suffer too much. :( It is such a shame as he was a really lovely fish that had grown in the pond from less than 2 inches to well over a foot in length. He is my last golden orfe so that is also a shame.
I guess I am lucky though as through this really bad weather my mother in law has lost 2 or 3 fish and 2 frogs, and my sister in law has lost 5 large fish. It is awful when they die. :(
alison

Postby Tricia on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:48 am

Yes, it's sad when a fish dies Alison, but he was a good age - as is my remaining Golden Orfe. They are really a fish which likes to shoal so I don't expect mine to last much longer. He must be so lonely!
Finally found a guy to clean my pump and box filter, but he was so expensive!! My new neighbour, Rebecca, (Jane's daughter) has given me a good telling off and said that in future she and Richard will do it for me.

So far, touch wood, I haven't lost any fish this winter - in spite of the weather!
Tricia

Tricia

Return to Pondlife