Frog exodus

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Frog exodus

Postby alison on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:19 am

The weather as you know has been a bit rubbish lately with not too much of the hot summer as first predicted. There are sunny days and also a LOT of rain. I first noticed my little exodus from the pond on such a day. As the rain absolutely poured down suddenly out from the pond hopped one then two, then three, then four, five, six frogs all making a break across the lawn. They all moved in unison all the way over the lawn to the borders and beyond sight.
Yesterday the rain poured down with a real torrent in the afternoon and suddenly one, two three four frogs hopped out of the pond until sixteen were visable hopping their way across the lawn. It is a wonderful sight to see and I am sure that they are thinking FOOD. Obviously when it is wet the slugs and snails come out in droves and it is easy picking for the frogs. At least that is what I think. Anyone else have any other ideas about it.
alison

Re: Frog exodus

Postby Tricia on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:39 pm

That must have been real cute to watch Alison. The last time I saw frogs and toads was when my pond was cleaned and about ten of them spent a couple of hours swimming in a water barrel till they could be returned to the clean pond. Yes, I'm sure the ones you observed were on the lookout for some succulent slugs and snails!
Tricia

Tricia

Postby alison on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:27 pm

Well this is two years later now and the frog exodus still continues on wet days.
Two weeks ago we had some terrible downpours and one night the rain was really coming down in buckets and I had left the back door open. I was in the room watching the TV when I could hear a sound in the kitchen of scuffling. When I went to investigate there was a frog sitting up high on a carrier bag that held my recycling papers etc. I went to move him on when he kept jumping away from me and nearly ended up behind the fridge so eventually I left him to find his own way out. Then when I was cutting back the side hedge which had become overgrown behind the shed I fell over some pond liner hidden away and out popped a frog from its folds. I wondered how many made it their home over the winter as it was well sheltered. I decided to just leave it there rolled up until I need it so that there is a good hiding place nice and warm for them this winter too.
alison

Postby Tricia on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:28 pm

I didn't think any of my tadpoles had made it into froglets this year but yesterday when I moved a plant pot near my compost bin a couple of froglets hopped away. They were only about an inch long so how they crossed the paving from the pond - I don't know!

I sometimes see one adult sitting in the shade of plants on a waterlily leaf but mostly I hear them croaking quite loudly during the day if I am working in the garden.

No exodus though :) .
Tricia

Tricia

Postby alison on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 am

I opened the front door the other day to find a frog sitting right up on the sill. How it didn't fall into the hall I don't know. It sat there for ages until I finally thought "well I need to go out of the door" and it hopped gently away. It isn't often we see them in the front garden as the pond is in the back but I have noticed that some frogs have been quite intelligent to notice that when it is a wet night the best place for a feast of snails is in the front. Not many snails venture into the back garden so I guess they know the score there, but they are sometimes beaten at their own game when a few frogs come round the front. I have found them hiding in the plant pots so when the snails come to feast they have a ready tasty meal without any effort. :D
alison

Return to Pondlife