What a BIG surprise

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

What a BIG surprise

Postby alison on Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:31 pm

As you know I put a small pond in for the tadpoles to survive better without any predators. They have all done brilliantly and nearly all have changed into lovely little froglets. I am sure that I told you previously that when emptying out this little pond a while ago to change the water as I haven't a pump or any filtering in it I caught all the taddies and to my suprise I found some small sticklebacks. The reasoning behind them being sticklebacks was that I found one large stickleback a couple of months before and had put it back into the big pond.
Well as Sonny took some photos today of the little fry can you imagine my surprise as NONE of them are sticklebacks :shock: They are all different and at least three different kinds. The only reason we can think of is that the other fish really do spawn in the big pond and as I have transplanted some plants into the tiny pond from the large pond the eggs must have been on them. Can you think of any other explanation ??? I always thought it strange that after all the years of my pond being filled with fish only ever have there been stickleback fry. I think that the other fish must have been spawning but have been eaten. With their being nothing in the little pond they have managed to survive. Sonny has taken these pics today. The fry are not even an inch long yet so it is hard to know what they are but they have different fins and tails etc so as they grow we will see what they develop into.

alison

Re: What a BIG surprise

Postby retropwr on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Is it good news that you have 'big' fish or would you have preferred Sticklebacks? I take it they will be going in the grown ups pond when they get a bit bigger.

I've often wondered about putting Sticlebacks in my small pond to give it a bit of life, but wonder if they would just swim over the waterfall into the main pond.
Richard
retropwr

Postby alison on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:36 am

I am thrilled that they are BIG fish. I can't wait to see what they develop into. It was such a shock though when Sonny said they were not stickies as that was all I have come to expect from our pond. It was definitely a large stickleback that I put back into the big pond from the small one. I am hoping that they all develop okay. :D
I don't know exactly what is the right answer to putting stickies into your top pond, I suppose it depends how big the lip is over the fall and if they would end up over it or just stop at the edge. The only way to know for sure is to try it.. :lol:
alison

Postby alison on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:55 pm

One of the little fish is now getting better markings and so although it is only small I would say it is definitely a shubunkin. It is still quite lightly coloured but has two orange markings on its head and a couple of black dots on it's back. They are all doing well so far and have grown considerably. Occasionally I put a few fish flakes in but they must be living on the natural food in the pond.
alison

Postby alison on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:45 am

On saturday Abigail, Rachel and Imogen came over and while they were playing Imogen wanted to see the fish. We caught 3 of the little fish and 1 tadpole. I am sure that the tadpole will stay a taddie for the rest of this year and change next spring. Anyway 2 of the little fish were the same inasmuch as they had brown backs and golden tummys. The other one is definitely looking like the shubunkin with orange head and little black spots. They have grown well. Imogen loved catching them and watching them swimming in the bucket. We brought them into the house so Abigail and Rachel could see them as well and then put them back into the pond. It is good to see that the children are already getting a love for wildlife.
alison

Return to Pondlife