Are you still feeding your fish?

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

Are you still feeding your fish?

Postby alison on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:39 am

I have still been feeding my fish with the food they eat normally. not every day but quite often over the week. Is it time now to move to wheatgerm only and do you feed yours until it goes down to 10 degrees. Is that the water temperature or air temperature I have never been sure. Saying that, they all seem to have done well enough over the past years. I just like to check with others that know more than myself. :D
alison

Re: Are you still feeding your fish?

Postby retropwr on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:52 pm

I'm still feeding mine their 'summer' food. I feed this until the water temp goes down to 10c then switch to wheatgerm until 5c. At the moment my pond is hovering around 13-14c.

PS
Just because I've replied doesn't mean I know any more than you :)
Richard
retropwr

Postby Tricia on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:11 pm

I find that in most years I stop feeding them normal food on the first of November and wheat germ by the end of the month - and start again around the first of April.
Tricia

Tricia

Postby alison on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:22 am

That sounds like a good time for mine as well. I suppose we can see how warm the winter is. If it is mild then maybe they can eat for longer. I think my sister Dorena had her pond covered over the winter and fed the fish throughout it. Her pond is actually between two gardens, she and her neighbour decided to do one together so it is at the bottom of their gardens where they come to a point. I think the neighbour was the one who insisted on it as I know my sister didn't really like it covered over. It is a lovely pond though with some nice koi. My other sister Carol was asking when to stop feeding as well. She doesn't know a lot about ponding but her pond always looks lovely. If you remember my son Darren (he's often called Nod which has stuck since early childhood)and I created it for her a few years ago. She also has an indoor aquarium. It is funny how you get the ponding bug and others catch it from you. I was the first to have one in our family. Now 2 of my sisters, 1 brother in law and 1 mother in law have them as well.
alison

Return to Pondlife