I guess my fish is hungry

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

I guess my fish is hungry

Postby alison on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:22 pm

The problem with having fish in the same pond as the frogs like to spawn in means that there is plenty of scrumptious goodies to eat when the fish get a bit peckish. With the weather getting a lot warmer a few weeks ago it seems to have reminded the fish that they are missing out on goodies and although it has become colder I noticed that the large ghost koi is trying his best to carry on eating. I would be very surprized if any taddies are left as today I saw the koi in the shallowest part of the pond only a few inches deep by the japanese monster marsh marigold. Part of his body was completely out of the water. I do hope some of the frogs survive to adult hood and that I have done as much as possible by putting the little pond next to the big one to give them the best chance. Because the weather did get so cold again I haven't started feeding the fish yet but after seeing the koi today getting into the plants in the shallowest part I think I need to get feeding.
alison

Re: I guess my fish is hungry

Postby alison on Sat May 12, 2012 5:18 pm

It has been so cold up here that I have only just started to feed the fish but the tadpoles have had an excellent idea to keep alive. I have the pump which pumps the water to my filterbox and the hose that comes back into the pond runs round the edge of the bottom of the pond in the shallows. Most of the tadpoles have gone into the space between the edge of the pond and the hose which means the fish cant reach them as the fish cant reach over the hose. I was suitably impressed with them. I hope lots change into froglets.
In the very tiny pond where there are no fish the tadpoles are numerous. The water has really turned green now so it is hard to see them except at the edge of the pond but they seem to be doing very well. Last year they didn't change into froglets and a lot died so I hope that this year all these survive and change.
It is a beautiful sunny day today so that will help them. :D
alison

Return to Pondlife