So glad I came in when I did.....

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

So glad I came in when I did.....

Postby alison on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:31 pm

I was just coming back from shopping yesterday and came into the back garden just in time to hear my ghost koi splashing about. I put down my shopping and went to where I could see him and found he had kind of beached himself on a shallow section of the pond between the deep end and the shallow end and he was caught on his side not moving anymore with his body mostly out of the water. First of all I thought that maybe he had had a stroke or heart attack or something as he was so still after doing so much spashing about. I shouted for Sonny to come and see and then we got the net and I carefully moved his massive body round into a position that he could swim off from once back into the deep water. I was thrilled to see him finally swim off into the depths as if nothing had happened.
What a great thing that I came in just in time because it would have been awful to see the fish that we have had for 14 years lying dead. Why he got himself in those difficulties I don't know , it has never happened before. One thing that impressed me was the size of him. Normally we just see him from above and think he is a decent size but to see the girth and full length of him when he was on his side was amazing. :D I reckon he was glad to see me :D
alison

Re: So glad I came in when I did.....

Postby alison on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:04 am

Well after 14 years the ghost koi has finally given up the ghost and I saw what I thought was a lump of weeds in the middle of the pond. As I got nearer I suddenly realised that it wasn't weed but the fish. He was quite solid and weighed 7lb I couldn't see anything wrong with him though but he was covered with silt. I hope he feels that he had a good life in my pond but it does seem odd looking out and not seeing him as he was always up
alison

Return to Pondlife