life savers

Talk about the frogs and other pondlife here

Moderators: alison, sonny

life savers

Postby alison on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:26 am

Yesterday morning before going to church I noticed that the outside tap which had the hosepipe attached to it wouldn't turn off but I turned it down as far as I could and left the hosepipe in the pond. Imagine my horror on returning home when Sonny said it had overflowed the pond and all the taddpoles had fallen over too. :shock: When he showed me the place where they had gone over I couldn't believe how many could have gone to their death but noticed some were alive.
Then it was action stations trying to pick up as many as possible. I didn't wait to change my clothes and shoes so there I was scrambling round in the mud and slate with fancy shoes and a white and green skirt on. After a while lucy came out and said "what are you doing grandma?" I told her she needed to be a life saver and she came to help as we picked up as many as we could see. I never realised that so many had survived in the pond in the first place. It seemed so sad to let them all die in the mud. After quite a while I thought we had got as many as possible as we looked under the slate and in the lily of the valley that grows by the bottom of the pond and we stopped. My back and legs were relieved !
What I thought was interesting about this was the fact that the taddies had survived more than half an hour outside the pond yet they had hardly started to get any legs and the fact that they had moved and found the dampest places under the slate to huddle together. It made me realise that although still tadpoles and not yet forming into froglets they already had the intelligence of froglets.
Nature is certainly fantastic.
alison

Re: life savers

Postby Ponddipperdave on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Good on you Alison,
What do they say? that only about 5% of tadpoles reach maturity (3 years) and only 3% make it back to the pond they left. You gave them a second chance there.

I too was out with a teaspoon rescuing the tadpoles that had been isolated in little puddles of the liner after the water recede due to evaporation.
Tadpoles & frogs can breathe through their skin but it only works when they are docile. They love to congregate at the waters edge gulping up lungfulls of air.
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby alison on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:13 am

I cant believe that within the week they have nearly all changed to froglets and are hopping around the rocks at the edge of the pond. I was so pleased that I could save them.
I had heard that only 5 out of every 2000 made it to maturity so they are not very good odds at all so whatever we can do to help is brilliant. :D
alison

Postby alison on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:54 pm

I had taken lots of watercress out of the pond yesterday morning and had left piles of it on the grass in case there were creepy crawlies that needed to get back into the pond. Then last night I went to pick it up to take to the garden bin and as I picked it up hundreds of tiny froglets came jumping out of it. It took ages to make sure they were all out and making their way back to the pond. I hope none went in to the bin.
alison

Postby alison on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:23 pm

They have really grown now and leaving the pond enjoying themselves. What I am worried about though is the cats as today I heard some high pitched squealing and when I went out to see what was making the strange noise I saw a fully grown frog being pursued by one of our cats. The frog would hop and the cat would try to get him and then the frog would hop etc all the way to the pond. The screams were very loud. This happened a few days ago too I don't think that the cats want to hurt the frogs but it can happen I guess. The cats just want to play...
alison

Return to Pondlife