Planting with no ledges

marginals, oxygenators etc.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Planting with no ledges

Postby Peterkins on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:06 pm

Hi everyone, I am constructing a pond for a friend and for various reasons I couldn't incorporate any ledges for the plants, I have just seen a kind of planter that is made of plastic and I think hessian, it is about a meter long with two planting pockets which is staked on the side of the pond Has anyone used one of these or have any other ideas? the pond is about 80cm deep and more or less round, it's about 600gals. I know I could put pots on bricks or something but I would prefer not to clutter up the limited space on the bottom. Peter
Peterkins

Postby Anyanka on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:56 pm

I have used planting 'socks', basically a long tube which you fill with soil, shut the end with a cable tie, and cut slits for the plants. They are pleasantly inconspicuous, and could probably be fixed to some support at the edge of the pond. I've stopped using them because they are comparatively expensive, and it can be a bit difficult inserting the plants, but those are minor drawbacks.
Anyanka

Postby seanmckinney on Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:41 pm

Shelves/trays resting on solvent welded plastic pipe frame works.
seanmckinney

Postby Peterkins on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:24 pm

Hi everyone, I don't know about socks, mine always disappear in the washing machine and I always blamed my wife but it happens to me too! I have heard of people using tights but are they strong enough? Sean I can't picture quite what you mean could you do one of your famous (infamous) sketches. Thanks Peter
Peterkins

Postby Anyanka on Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:35 pm

:D I didn't mean actual socks - and I don't think tights would do the job. The things I've used are called 'pond socks' - like so:
http://www.worldofwater.com/pond-socks.htm
Anyanka

Postby Peterkins on Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:38 pm

Hi eveyone, Anyanka, I was only kidding about the socks, but thanks for the link. Peter
Peterkins

Postby seanmckinney on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:26 pm

Peter, some of the americans on Awgs, the US side of garden web or Koiphen will have photos of their frameworks, they will be clearer than one of my diagrams.
seanmckinney

Postby Kristin F. on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:11 pm

Anyanka, those 'pond-socks' are brilliant ;)
..gave me an idea .. to use plastic bags 8)
Kristin F.

Return to Pond plants