Salvinia minor miracle!

marginals, oxygenators etc.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Salvinia minor miracle!

Postby Peterkins on Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:58 pm

Hi everyone, towards the end of last year my new pond went the usual murky green. I didn't have too many plants in the pond so off I went to my local (only) water plant supplier, after numerous cups of coffee where we discused everything under the sun except plants, I finaly got to tell him my problem he suggested I put in some Salvinia as this little floating plant uses a lot of the nutriants that cause the green water. In under a week the pond was sparkling clear! I wasn't totaly convinced that this "little" miracle was just down to the Salvinia, anyway I was a happy Peter, The Salvinia dies down in winter and last month I had a big blanket weed problem it was everywhere! Off I went to get some more Salvinia and once again within a couple of weeks the blanket weed has almost gone, If it gets too rampant you can easily scoop it out not like duck weed which is almost impossible to clear. Just thought I would pass this on it worked for me, maybe it will help someone else. Peter
Peterkins

Postby seanmckinney on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:57 pm

If you are talking about the one that when clumped up reminds me of brain coral then I think it looks great and rather unusual. Unfortunately didnt do well here when I tried it but it a lot colder here than where you are but glad it worked for you.
seanmckinney

Postby Peterkins on Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:30 am

Hi everyone, that's the one Sean, looks great in Summer but dies down in "Winter" . It's getting quite warm now and I have about six lilly blossoms already! Peter
Peterkins

Postby seanmckinney on Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:28 am

beep beep beeep
seanmckinney

Postby alison on Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:27 pm

Some people just like to rub it in :smt027 Are you able to post pics of your lilys for us to have a glimpse of what we are missing?
Sean dont fret. Yours will be up soon enough :wink:
alison

Postby Rita on Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:45 am

Paul Bromfield aquatics sell it Alison - but they say that it is an annual. :?

http://www.bromfieldaquatics.co.uk/store/erol.html
Rita

Postby Peterkins on Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:44 pm

Hi everyone, Alison I am a complete idiot when it comes to computers, my attempts to post pictures have failed dismally! I can't even work out how to use the Emoticons..... My wife who is visiting her son in Barnsley at the moment has the camera with the latest photos on it, when she comes back I will try again as the garden and ponds look fantastic now that Spring has arrived. Peter
Peterkins

Postby alison on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:45 pm

I am a bit like you Peter. If Sonny wasn't an expert I wouldn't even know how to do anything either. I can tell you how to use the Emoticons though :D All you need to do is put your curser where you want the Emoticon to be in your text, then with the mouse click once on the one you want to use and it will come up in your text. :wink:
alison

Return to Pond plants