What, if any, birds or perhaps small mammals break up lily p

marginals, oxygenators etc.

Moderators: alison, sonny

What, if any, birds or perhaps small mammals break up lily p

Postby seanmckinney on Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:42 pm

In the past two days, since I cut the hedge, something has started to rip apart the lily pads of some of the lilies a one end of my line of lily trugs/containers. One bloom in the lily pond has also been 'attacked'. The fragments are for the most part just left floating on the water and all the damage is within 6" or so of the sides of the trugs and pond

Could the wind do it?

I think the damage is too much for any insect or larvae and there is no point in suggesting deer, there aren't any here. In the way of mammals there are rabbits, if I am lucky hedgehogs, fox, cat, maybe hare but I doubt that, mice but I think mice would have a hard job climbing the plastic walls of the trugs, and almost certainly rats.
I am wondering if magpies and their chicks and perhaps "wood pigeon" (a big wild native pigeon) and their chicks would.

Mallard ducks, sometimes land in the neighbour's garden but I have never seem them try for here, the neighbour's garden is a large and open lawn with a stream down one side. My garden is roughly equal in size but is broken up into smallish sections by quite tall hedges and bushes.

Ta
seanmckinney

Postby kaz on Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:18 pm

If you've seen ducks locally its a good bet they have tried your pond Sean. As you know, I get blooming ducks and when I yell at them, they go next door to Helen's small pond.
kaz

Return to Pond plants