The good news and the bad news!

marginals, oxygenators etc.

Moderators: alison, sonny

The good news and the bad news!

Postby kaz on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:34 pm

This time of year is awesome (I'm sounding like a Yank :shock:). It's just that everything changes on a day-to-day basis and I can never get over that things actually grow for me!!!

Anyway... the good news is that the donated Irish lily pads have surfaced and so has the lily in the big pond :). The bad news is (not sure if I've mentioned this before), is that horsehair (or whatever it's called - see pic), is growing out of the same pots :?.

Is it a bad time to re-pot the waterlilies so that I can get rid of the weed?

You can see from this picture what a dreadful condition my patio pond is in at the moment... clearing it will be my weekend job... and pester me for pics after the clean-up or I'll not do it properly :roll:

kaz

Postby whis4ey on Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:44 am

Is that the lily I sent to you kaz?
If it is I am so terribly sorry that there is marestail in with the root
I would dig it out and remove the mares tail right away. The stuff is a curse and will pervade everything :(
The lily should survive fine (says he hopefullly)
How can you ever forgive me (grovel grovel grovel) for not noticing the stuff
Am I forgiven?
Or do I need to send flowers, or chocs, or a free ticket for a U2 concert, or an autographed photograph of myself :)?
whis4ey

Postby kaz on Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:02 pm

Sam... both yours and Sean's lilies are in that pond and I can't remember which one's which :?. But, I washed the lilies off before planting them, so don't think it's an Irish weed :shock:. Where is Sean these days?

I'll pull the weed tomorrow... I've been out gardening all day... what fantastic weather it's been :D
kaz

Postby whis4ey on Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:58 pm

Ye mean ... ye don't want an autographed photo? :) :D :shock: :D
whis4ey

Postby kaz on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:48 pm

HaHa :D

Sam... while you're around I'd like to ask you about acers, so I'd better go and post under the right heading................
kaz

Postby dampflippers on Mon May 14, 2007 11:56 am

There's an aquatic form of mares tail which isn't as much of a night mare as the horsetail which comes up everywhere in our garden. Hippurus vulgaris or equistum, so it may not be such a bad thing. But don't quote me on that if it takes over!
dampflippers

Return to Pond plants