Water lily cuttings

marginals, oxygenators etc.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Water lily cuttings

Postby dampflippers on Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:57 pm

One of my water lilies has gone bananas and the stem is now floating at the surface- over a foot long.
I'm planning to cut it into pieces and repot the best (now).
Is now an alright time to do it ?(I can't really leave it because all the leaves are growing out of the water)
If I cut it into 4 or 5 inch portions, should I trim off any of the leaves or the roots?
Any advice?
dampflippers

Re: Water lily cuttings

Postby alison on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:35 pm

Well this post is nearly 2 years old. I don't remember seeing it. :shock:
Anyway I have at the moment one of the ryzomes about 6 inches long with 2 stems coming off it and I have just left it to float in the baby pond. I have noticed this year that all the Iris are late flowering and both the purple one and the yellow one are flowering together whereas normally the purple ones are first and nearly over by the time the yellow ones flower. Normally they flower in early May but it is now June and they are only just getting the buds. Have any of you found any flowers to be slow this year? Even my marsh marigold were very late and are still flowering. The watercress is only just getting going as well.
alison

Postby retropwr on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:20 pm

I think putting the small second pond in and putting only plants in it has altered the balance in my pond. The Marsh Marigold has gone mad in it (well and truly finished flowering) and the water Hawthorn is it’s best ever, while plants in the original pond are struggling.
The water lily’s are putting up a few leaves but they are pathetic specimens, might have to see if I can get some extra fertiliser tabs in the pots. The Pickerel plant is really struggling this year, hardly any leaves on it and they are tiny.

At least there’s still no blanket weed.
Richard
retropwr

Postby alison on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:27 pm

Oh that reminds me I haven't seen my pickeral weed yet. I will go and look to see if there is any sight of it at all. The primrose willow has disappeared as well but the bogbean is doing okay.
alison

Return to Pond plants