Getting ready for winter

marginals, oxygenators etc.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Getting ready for winter

Postby alison on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Has anyone started cutting back their pond plants for the winter yet. I never know when to do it really. This year they have gone mad with the stripey grass doubling in size and width, the bogbean taking double the space but not flowering. :( The Iris were later this year flowering but have also done very well putting on a lot of growth. The japanese giant marsh marigold was wonderful with its leaves and flowers more than double it's smaller variety even though that did well too. This year was my best pickeral weed but the waterlily was not as good as last year with only two flowers out of the three plants. It was very disappointing.
Now I am at the dillema of 'do I cut back now while it is not so cold outside to work in' or 'do I wait until they start dying off'
Once they have been cut back there is not much to look at on the pond so I just don't know what to do. I have taken all the leaves from the stripey grass as that was well brown but I didn't cut it down in size in case anyone wanted some cuttings from it. Have any of you got any idea of the best time to do it.?? And is anyone in need of any plants.
alison

Return to Pond plants