Big Garden Birdwatch

The wildlife in and around your garden

Moderators: alison, sonny

Big Garden Birdwatch

Postby alison on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:06 pm

Did anyone do the garden birdwatch this past weekend? I want to know why they always disappear for the weekend and as soon as you have finished the survey they come back.... It has happened the past couple of years and I know others have mentioned it as well.
I have decided that I will count all those who came during the week instead of saturday and sunday. No one around me does the birdwatch so I think that would be okay. My neighbour and myself count between us the birds in our gardens. I found that mainly the sparrows and dunnocks stayed in her garden over the weekend and yet had been in mine all week (only about half a dozen came into mine over the weekend ) and I had many more starlings than she did. Overall we get quite a few species of birds Blackbirds, Starlings, Dunnocks, Sparrows, Robins, Wood Pigeons, Collared Doves, (and a squirrel for good measure :lol: ). Like I said in another post, the bluetits haven't been seen to nest last year so I can't really count any of those this year. Even the magpies that nested were not around at the weekend.
alison

Re: Big Garden Birdwatch

Postby AJC on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:54 pm

yes we found that too alison, we picked sunday,we camped in the bed room window with bins ready to count and we saw a handfull, saturday we saw several, we even filled the feeders up saturday ready for the count lol, total....................7 birds in one hour! :smt011
AJC

Postby retropwr on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:12 pm

Same here. Everyday, regular as clockwork between 3 and 3:30pm a flock of 20 - 25 sparrows turns up for a feed and bath in the pond. Sunday 6 arrived :(
The ensuing chaos attracts others (blackbirds, starlings etc.). Then the doves and pigeons arrive to eat the spilt seed. All turned out a bit disapointing this year.

At least the two grey wagtails made an appearence :)

I wonder if more people are putting out extra food to attract birds for counting so they're not so hungry :?:
Richard
retropwr

Postby alison on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:45 pm

I know it's meant to be in a single hour but my birds have always come at seperate times throughout the day so am I really doing very wrong by including them all, because they do all come for feeding??? :?
alison

Postby retropwr on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:51 pm

I hope not, 'cause I do as well and I bet most people do.
Richard
retropwr

Postby alison on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:35 pm

Thanks Richard as I was a bit worried, but thought well if they normally come everyday they should be counted. I haven't posted it onto the site yet so I guess I had better do that.
alison

Postby retropwr on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:31 pm

Richard
retropwr

Postby Ponddipperdave on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:11 am

I used to do a regular birdwatch census for the Manchester area in my Salford House but moving to South Manchester, all I ever got was 3 !
Sparrows Pigeons and Magpies. I only ever fed the birds after snow or hard frost (Protecting my Frogs & Newts)
I now have a massive poulation of Frogs and Newts so I have been feeding the Birds regularly for the past 6 months.
Over the past month there has been Blue tits, Blackbird, Robin and a Long Tailed Tit.
Thats not counting the Heron which is an unwelcome visitor.
Dave
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Return to Wildlife