Buzzy Bees

The wildlife in and around your garden

Moderators: alison, sonny

Buzzy Bees

Postby alison on Fri May 29, 2009 11:50 pm

I noticed the other day quite a lot of bees in the garden near the pond. As I looked closer I realised that they were disappearing into the drystone wall of the pond where the stones are uneven and have small gaps.
After watching for some time I saw one after another making their way through the lovely poppys that are surrounding the area and going through the same gap each time.
How wonderful is that !! :D to be able to have a bees nest behind the pond walls. There is so much concern for them at the moment that it is good to know that they can survive in my garden. I'm not sure what type they are. I think they are bumbles. We do have honey bees that come to enjoy all the flowers as well so I can't wait for the wild geraniums to flower round the border of the front garden as they are normally covered in them. The first ones are flowering but most are in bud. Another day or two of this lovely sunny weather and they will be absolutely gorgeous.
alison

Re: Buzzy Bees

Postby dampflippers on Sat May 30, 2009 5:54 pm

That's really great Alison.
The Bumblebee Conservation Trust have a nest site survey at present which you could fill in.
http://www.bumblebeeconservationtrust.co.uk
Also if you email enquiries@bumblebetrust.co.uk with a photo of the bees and the nest, they will identify them. Include your postcode.
dampflippers

Re: Buzzy Bees

Postby alison on Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks. They definitely are bumbles. I love them as they are so furry. :D
Yesterday I was cleaning out the shed which hasn't been done for such a long time and mice and spiders have often frequented it so it was full of leaves and cobwebs etc. As I took out some of my compost bags which had all been eaten to put them in black binliners I thought one lot of leaves etc had been built up between the two bags of soil. I carefully pulled a lot of it away and then I saw a bee. Then another came into the mound and started moving round in it. They were the only two so I was going to just throw the lot away but another came. I think they must have just been going to build a nest there. I felt so bad at having thrown a lot of it away so I gathered what was left and moved it all to the back of the shed (it's only a small lean too type a couple of feet wide and about five feet long) and started putting things back around it. I made them a bit mad I think so I went away as the bees were flying and buzzing right round me as if to say get away from us, and I didn't want to let them attack as I think if they sting they die :( and it wouldn't be very pleasant for me either. :shock:
I once got a bee sting on my foot and the bee stayed there as I walked until I could knock it off. Anyway I went back an hour or so later and they were still moving round in it, so I placed everything back in the shed and closed the door on them. One bee outside didn't seem to know how to get back in even though the door doesn't shut right and they must have buzzed their way in somehow before. I think eventually he must have worked it out. So now I have two bees nests in the garden.
alison

Return to Wildlife