Fieldmouse

The wildlife in and around your garden

Moderators: alison, sonny

Fieldmouse

Postby alison on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:17 am

On Saturday Bethany said there was a mouse in the garden. When I went to look there was the tiniest little fieldmouse. It even looked as small as a dormouse. He just stayed put even when she stroked it. Then he ran a little way off for a while and came back. It seemed very strange that he would not run away and was out in daylight in the middle of the garden. I wondered if he had been orphaned as it was unusual.
Over the past few days he has been seen but today he was just sat right in view in the middle of the lawn. I went out and could just pick him up. I gave him some fruit and seeds, but the blackberry was nearly as big as he was and the large strawberry was the same size as the tiny mouse. We decided that there must be something wrong with him to allow us to handle him so we put him in our small fish tank and have been keeping an eye on him. He did eat a little of the fruit and seeds and had a little drink. But he isn't looking too good at the moment. He has bedding but is just resting wherever he is even on top of the seeds and isn't moving too much. I am not so sure he will be alive in the morning. He is so cute though so here is a photo

http://gallery.the-horsfalls.co.uk/slides/8S8J8308.html
alison

Return to Wildlife