Hedgehog

The wildlife in and around your garden

Moderators: alison, sonny

Hedgehog

Postby alison on Fri May 14, 2010 5:13 pm

The other night I put out a chicken carcase with a few other scraps after tea and had forgotten about it when I was looking out of the door that night for the cat. I heard a scuffling noise and when I looked down there was a large hedgehog having a feast. I was so pleased to see a hedgehog in the garden when suddenly another appeared and went up to eat as well. I thought "great a family". Next thing I knew they were fighting each other and pushing each other until they ended up right down the garden still holding on to each others noses. (I don't think it was a mating move :D ) Anyway last night I only noticed one hedgehog eating so I guess the other has been well and truly warned off.
alison

Re: Hedgehog

Postby retropwr on Fri May 14, 2010 10:16 pm

We have a hedgehog whos a regular visitor, leaves it's presents all over the lawn. I see it every now and again. I think it comes to clear up the leftover cat food.
retropwr

Postby dampflippers on Sun May 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Quite likely- alot of people feed them cat food (but avoid fishy ones please).

Don't forget everyone to put out dishes (or plant saucers) of water for them- always- all year- front and back garden.
In dry weather they can really suffer.

Don't forget a ramp or beach in your pond for them as well as for amphibians to climb out.
dampflippers

Postby alison on Sun May 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Oh yes I once found a baby hedgehog dead in the previous pond a few years ago. I felt so awful. :(
alison

Return to Wildlife