Fox

The wildlife in and around your garden

Moderators: alison, sonny

Fox

Postby retropwr on Fri May 14, 2010 10:26 pm

Just went out the back to see if the cat wanted to come in, at first I thought the neighbours cat, which is quite small, was hanging around then I realised I was looking at a small fox cub (no outside lights on is my excuse for the initial mistake). A quick look around the garden with a torch revealed it must have been in the pond at some point. At least I can see where it got in by the trail of water - job for tomorrow block the holes, the cats will just have to go over the top.
Richard
retropwr

Re: Fox

Postby dampflippers on Sun May 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Last weekend when I got up for a dawn chorus walk at 4 there was an adult fox in the garden. Looked very healthy and sleek.
dampflippers

Postby retropwr on Sun May 16, 2010 11:23 pm

The cub did look kind of cute, and wasn't a bit scared. But not in the pond.
The gap is blocked now so I'll have to wait and see where they get in next.
Richard
retropwr

Postby dampflippers on Mon May 17, 2010 8:37 am

I don't really understand where the gap is- is it a raised pond or something?
dampflippers

Postby retropwr on Mon May 17, 2010 10:57 pm

It's a lawn level pond. There was a foxcub sized gap was under gate which gives access to the back garden. So they were going under the gate running riot in the garden and pond then going out again to where mum was waiting for them.
Richard
retropwr

Postby alison on Tue May 18, 2010 12:12 am

It would have been lovely to watch them playing. :D
alison

Postby dampflippers on Tue May 18, 2010 10:17 am

retropwr wrote:It's a lawn level pond. There was a foxcub sized gap was under gate which gives access to the back garden. So they were going under the gate running riot in the garden and pond then going out again to where mum was waiting for them.

Or you could have made the hole bigger so Mum could come in and keep her family under control!
dampflippers

Postby retropwr on Fri May 21, 2010 9:41 pm

I think keeping them out is best, especially as our 12 year old cat likes to sleep in the back garden
Richard
retropwr

Postby dampflippers on Sat May 22, 2010 5:11 pm

Yeay! Young fox on my stealth cam last night! I can't post it because it's a video.
I think it is a year old fox- very sleek and healthy looking. Quite timid and kept looking at the lights as it tried to get food/drink.
I'll try to set it up better tonight- a bit further away and water and food in shot so I get hedgehogs too.
dampflippers

Postby alison on Sun May 23, 2010 10:29 pm

It sounds very exciting. I just love to see the really wild wildlife in the garden. We saw a fox crossing over the nature reserve at Fairburn Ings and when you are used to seeing just birds there mainly, a fox was very exciting. He stopped and looked then moved on.
Have you managed to keep your fox out Richard? It would have been lovely seeing them all playing but of course the pond has to be secure and safe.
alison

Postby retropwr on Tue May 25, 2010 10:46 pm

All I can say is there have been no signs of them in the back garden. Do see them out the front though playing around jumping into the bushes, always just missing them playing when I get back with the camera.
Richard
retropwr

Return to Wildlife