Are all your birds still around?

The wildlife in and around your garden

Moderators: alison, sonny

Are all your birds still around?

Postby alison on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:37 am

I have noticed lately that not many birds are coming into the garden for feeding. The only ones I have seen lately are the big wood pigeons. Do they disappear or is it just because in the summer they don't need feeding. I know there is a lot of natural food available. In my garden we have blackberry bushes which have been excellent this year and we also have elderberry trees which are full of berries at the moment. I am sure that they will feast on them so maybe they don't ned seeds etc. Are all your birds still frequent visitors? Maybe because it is the summer hols that I just don't get up early enough to see them :D
alison

Re: Are all your birds still around?

Postby Tricia on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi Alison,

In my garden it is the opposite! There are four sunflower hearts feeders, one niger, one suet pellets and one fat balls feeder - all of which are constantly occupied. I have to fill all four sunflower hearts feeders every day. The goldfinches, greenfinches, sparrows, chaffinches, blue tits and great tits are in large numbers. The finches, in particular, are messy feeders, so I'm not too bothered that the wood pigeons, a wren and a pair of robins mop up what lands on the paving. I do object, though, to three feral pigeons which have recently become frequent visitors. Wish I knew how to get rid of them!
Tricia

Tricia

Re: Are all your birds still around?

Postby alison on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:53 am

Over the last few days the birds have started to appear again. We had 6 collard doves yesterday on the birdhouse and for the first time a lovely coaltit has moved into the conifer tree in my next doors garden very near to my hedge and it is coming feeding everyday. It was lovely to see it. Lucy says she has seen the blutits and I have seen blackbirds, a robin and a couple of sparrows. So it is starting to become frequented again. I am thrilled as I have missed seeing them all. I was beginning to think my neighbour 2 doors up was feeding them so well they didn't need to come into my garden. I am off to watch them now.. :D
alison

Return to Wildlife