Starlings

The wildlife in and around your garden

Moderators: alison, sonny

Starlings

Postby alison on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:55 pm

The Starlings made their return this morning and it was so nice to see them. :D It is months since they were here last and they are always in groups. We had sixteen or so in the garden this morning. I wonder where they go to in the months they are not here. They have probably mentioned it on Autumnwatch as Chris likes his map of birds coming over from other places doesn't he, but unfortunately I always forget it is on so only watch the last half of the programme. I must put it on to record or something :D
Anyway have you had them back with you yet or any others going away? My sparrows are loving living in the Ivy and they fly out every day and come straight back. They are well hidden now as it has got thicker and can easily hide their nests. They were all singing the other morning which was lovely to hear.
alison

Re: Starlings

Postby alison on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:10 am

This morning as I looked out of the window a bit later than usual I was greeted with a flurry of activity on the bird table. There were coaltits and sparrows and a solitary starling. I need to put out the suet for the starlings to come in great numbers. I wonder how they know just when to come . If I haven't put any out for a while I don't see them so much and as soon as the suet goes in the feeders they all appear from nowhere. The blackbird was further down the garden eating an apple and yesterday I saw the robin at the table.
The thing I found fascinating this morning was watching the coaltits as one of them kept flying up to the windows of my neighbours conservatory and trying to hold on to the glass whilst pecking at something on the edge of the window frame. It just looked like slime to me but maybe there was an insect or something in amongst it. How he held on to the slippy glass I don't know. It was so nice to see a couple of coaltits as they have found a home in the conifer tree in my neighbours garden. It is maybe about 6 feet from my feeder so they quickly come over, eat and then fly back. They have been there about 2 years now.
I watched a wood pigeon trying to stay on a small branch of the pyracantha bush whilst he ate the berries. It was amazing how the branch bobbed up and down without the wood pigeon losing his balance on such a small twig. It is so lovely to see such sights from my room window. Small things can really make such a difference to how you are feeling. :D
alison

Return to Wildlife