A few day trips

Chill out and chat about anything.

Moderators: alison, sonny

A few day trips

Postby alison on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:16 pm

Just thought I'd tell you a little about our few day trips we took with the grandchildren. Last week Sonny took time off and we usually go out a few times during the week as he isn't in to going on weekly holidays and is not keen on going anywhere where there are large groups of people. So we tend to mainly go in the winter months to the coast and the lakes and concentrate on the Yorkshire Dales in the summer.
Obviously the weather has not been that great but we ventured across to Formby which is a nature reserve with a colony of red squirrels. We had hoped to see lots of them but when we arrived there was a notice up saying that unfortunately squirrelpox had been on the site and that we would be lucky to see one or two of them feeding. We still bought little bags of food hoping that after we had journeyed such a long way we would get a glimpse. As we walked through the woodland which is like a pine forest with a sandy floor we managed to see a squirrel running through a wire fenced off area coming up towards us so Beth and Lucy crept towards it and after a bit of patience with the squirrel going back and forth he eventually came very close and they fed him with the monkey nuts and other treats from the food bag. They were thrilled and we then saw quite a few running about and at another location Beth was able to get just 4 inches away with her hand held out with food. We saw quite a lot in the end so it hadn't been as bad as we had feared when we read the notice.
As we walked through the woodland it began to change and the trees gave way to open land with wild flowers with lots of cinnabar caterpillars on them and we noticed Peacock butterflies and common blue's amongst others. Sonny got a good shot of a 6 spotted burnet which is a day flying moth and he is black with 6 red spots on his upper wings yet underneath his wings are totally completely brilliant red. Then the open land gave way to sand dunes which were very high and as you climbed them there was anticipation of what lay over the top. Suddenly as you came to the summit of the sand dune and looked over the ridge you were looking at the coastline and on to a beach. The children loved it and it was so nice to suddenly be at the sea when moments before you had been in a woodland forest. It was like you had had everything rolled into one, nature, wildlife, and the coast. It was a wonderful day out.

The lovely red squirrels

Some of the woodland we walk through with lots of creatures living here.

As the woodland starts to change before completely changing to sand.

If you can see these are the sand dunes that we came over to reach the sea

Our next trip was to Janets Foss in the Dales. We have been here before but the girls really love it. We had found it once on one of our quests to look at waterfalls and immediately loved it. On one side of the area we have open hills leading to Malham Cove but if you take the path opposite it leads to a large waterfall which falls into a lovely still pool. It is surrounded on all sides by cliffs with lovely planting. The legend goes that 'Janet' or 'Janett Queen of the Fairies' lived behind the waterfall and that it was a very important place. It feels very magical and the girls make up stories as we walk along the stream that leads from the still pool. They have found the Fairy queens throne and places where they would cook and eat etc. A cave where they would hide and trees with coins embedded into the trunks for making wishes.
As we travelled through this woodland dell we saw a dragonfly zigzagging across eating all the insects hovering around. No safety in numbers for the flies there. Eventually it opens up into lots of fields but we usually turn around then and reverse our walk back to the car and our dinner.

Starting to get ideas for the story

Some of the fungus on the trees. There is another picture of fungus lower down.

Looking at the trees with money in them

Opening onto fields from the woodland

The cave entrance

Beautiful views

The last trip we did was to Grassington in the dales. It is a place we go quite often as we usually walk down a very steep hill to a bridge over the mighty waterfall and then go back to feed the ducks and paddle in the river or trek along through woods going ever upwards through Lower Grass Wood to Higher Grass Wood and then open fields. I don't know how the girls paddle as the place we stop is a very pebbley area but they really love it and don't seem to mind the stones beneath their feet. The rain has certainly made a difference to the waterfalls and many of the places we used to stand on were under water this time. We then retrace our steps partway and finally walk up a different steep hill with an icecream as our reward when we reach the top and back to the car park. We are hoping next time we go that we will do the circular walk which starts from the car park. through the village, past the shops and into open fields before leading through the woods and back onto our regular trail. Lucy is only 6 though so I am not sure she will be able to do all the walk without having to rest a little, but saying that- she did the Ingleton waterfalls walk and that nearly killed me while she was bright as a button after 4 miles.

Anyway that was our week out. Maybe you would like to tell us all about your holidays or what you have been doing this summer.
alison

Re: A few day trips

Postby kaz on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:19 pm

Oh wow Alison... what beautiful places you have discovered. The photos are great. The grandchildren must have loved their adventures in such magical locations. Looks like the rain held off whilst you were out and about.
kaz

Re: A few day trips

Postby alison on Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:16 pm

Just about. We did get wet a few times but if you waited for hot sunny days you would never go anywhere would you. :D
We do have such a lovely land to explore and to think that most places are only about an hour or two away from us we can do it in a day and still get home for tea. :lol:
We are trying to get the girls to appreciate nature while they are young and of course they can take in so much information at their ages. They get quite excited when they see a different fungus for their grandpa to take a photo of and the stories they did of the fairies at Janets Foss were very imaginative.
The first time we went I told them that the water was magical in the pool below the waterfall and then never thought about it again until we went the next time and they reminded me that the water was magical.
I often wonder if they will get cross with me when they are older and realise that fairies really don't exist. I remember Bethany once hearing on TV a boy saying to his sister in a film that there was no such thing as fairies and Beth said to the TV Of course there are and she turned to me and said "He's wrong grandma isn't he. There are the tooth fairies.... " I had to smile. She is 10 now and so it won't be long before they don't exist and Santa is just her dad.
alison

Return to The garden shed