What happened Alison?

Chill out and chat about anything.

Moderators: alison, sonny

What happened Alison?

Postby Tricia on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:51 pm

For more than a week the website has been unavailable. In the end I sent you an email, but it was returned undeliverable. I've been worried that something awful had happened so it was a great relief to find the site back today.

What happened?
Tricia

Tricia

Re: What happened Alison?

Postby kaz on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:59 pm

Ditto!!!

Glad the site is back!
kaz

Postby alison on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:26 pm

Well I am so glad that you are still there. What a horrendous time we have had and so far the website is not perfect or the forum,but at least it is up and running. Sonny brilliant that he is will soon get everything back to looking perfect and all being well we should never disappear again. I will try to tell you all what happened.

We have 2 sites. The horsfalls.co.uk which is the forum, website and all our emails which was set up in 2001 and is paid for every 2 years. Then we paid for another site which was set up for our son Mark called Northyorkshirefieldsports.co.uk which was set up in 2006 also paid 2 yearly. These are completely independant of each other.
In June this year Mark's was due for renewal but he hadn't really used it ever so we decided to cancel it. When the renewal email came we said "please cancel this account". Sonny looked at the terms and conditions for cancelling and it said we had to raise a support ticket to ask for cancellation and that Streamline.net would reply. We did this and they did reply so you would think that would be it. They then sent another reply saying did we wish to park it thus leaving it open in case we ever wanted it again. We again said "Please cancel this account". So we had now done this twice. That was in June. July came and went and we thought all was well. In late august we recieved a credit card statement with a payment taken from streamline.net on 14th July. We hadn't used this card for a long time so I was surprised and said to Sonny I didn't think we had renewed. He said "no I cancelled it".
We got in touch with Streamline to ask why they had taken a payment for this account when it was cancelled and could they please return the money immediately. Their reply was that we hadn't cancelled properly and so had not done anything illegal and wouldn't refund the money. Sonny told them that we didn't want the account open so could they transfer the money over onto our horsfalls account if they had a problem refunding. They declined that saying they don't transfer.
After a lot of too-ing and fro-ing with streamline and not getting anywhere we got in touch with the credit card company sent them all the dialogue we had had with streamline and unbeknown to us they went ahead with a chargeback against the account. We didn't know anything about this until our site didn't work anymore.
Sonny sent another support ticket asking what had happened as we couldn't get our site up and they said that streamline.net take chargebacks very seriously and had cancelled our account. Bearing in mind that Northyorkshirefieldsports.co.uk were a completely separate domain name and had payment on a different year even than the horsfalls co.uk we didn't see any reason that they should close our account down that was paid for until May next year and had done nothing wrong. When Sonny asked for them to explain they sent a stupid text saying "this is fraud this is fraud" Sonny asked what they meant and their reply was to make it impossible to get back into the control account to email them any longer. They just closed down the avenues of dialogue. He eventually had to go through their website under another enquiry problem and asked them what they were going to do about putting us back on as we were paid for until next year. They still have not replied to that and all other attempts to get in touch.
We have been to Citizens Advice and trading standards and were told to write to their head office. Oh by the way they have a telephone no. which we rang only to have the message when it is answered saying they don't accept telephone calls !!!!! More money in their coffers then... Anyway I wrote a letter giving them 14 days to sort out the problem. nothing so far.
Sonny has now had to buy another site (more expensive and only yearly) to put us back on and needed the IPS address (I think) but streamline did the usual and didn't reply so he had to ask our new hosting site to apply to them to get it.
We have had to pay Nominet (holder of all co.uk accounts) to re register and that cost £23.50 so it has cost us quite a lot when we hadn't done anything wrong and I don't see any chance of Streamline giving us anything back. But they have another week to reply.
Of course all our Emails didn't work either and our childrens and brother in laws are all on the same account so no one had any mail. I couldn't get in touch with any of you because all your information was on the forum and we didn't have access to it. Sonny has just managed to find it and download before they get rid of it altogether so that was a blessing. He has worked so hard for me so I really appreciate it.
Anyway that is it in a nutshell really. I don't think Streamline have treated us well at all because we would have continued renewing the horsfalls account but obviously not after this fiasco. It was very difficult knowing that you would all be wondering what had happened and having no way of telling you. Luckily I went onto gardenweb and was able to mention it to Big Kid and Richard also found me there.
We will now wait and see what will happen with Streamline.net but at least we are up and running again albeit at a reduced capacity. Some photos are missing on both website and forum and the green backgrounds and my frog logo are also missing but they are not so important and will eventually get right.
alison

Postby AJC on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:09 pm

I thought this was it this time!!!! glad you are back, sorry about the hassle ya getting tho.

make sure you keep all communications from them alison ALL of them ya might need them later.
AJC

Postby alison on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:04 pm

I am hoping that their head office will realize how stupid one of their employees has been and try to limit the damage. It was a bit of a shock though to be there one minute and not the next. We have kept all the support ticket dialogues and intend to be on our toes if any problems become evident. The main thing is we are here :lol: :P
alison

Postby retropwr on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:07 pm

Good to have you back online. Hope you get things sorted with the other lot soon.
retropwr

Postby dampflippers on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Good to have the site back Alison.
There is a faint chance that you might be able to access your email here:
http://mail2web.com/ You have to insert your password for the account, and you may have to play about with the email address/ the username
I've used it before to access my orange mail
dampflippers

Postby alison on Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Thanks Damp. We now have our email address back and mostly everything is working more or less. Not got a lot of smilies at the moment.
So far not a dicky bird from Streamline. Their head office sounds like it might be as useful as their phone line was.
alison

Return to The garden shed