Snow in October !!!

Chill out and chat about anything.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Snow in October !!!

Postby retropwr on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

I know it may not be so rare further north, but as I look out of the window it's snowing, in Berkshire, in October, before Haloween :shock:
Even in the middle of winter we normally get rain when everone else gets snow.

I guess that's global warming for you......
Richard
retropwr

Re: Snow in October !!!

Postby alison on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:58 pm

Wow that is unusual so far south. It is really cold up here and frost is on the tops of the cars. (9pm) I think today has been the coldest day so far. We often have had snow in November but I don't remember it in October. I remember it often in April and May. What we would like is the warmer weather we were told would come with global warming. :lol:
alison

Postby alison on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:11 pm

Just watched a clip of news at ten and the poor reporter was covered in wintry snow. He looked quite cold as it battered against him, but it looks very sleetish and probably won't settle. That is something that we northerners know, what will settle and what won't and how much will fall etc just by looking at the sky. :P
alison

Postby retropwr on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:38 pm

It's definantly snow comming down, great big chunks of the stuff. :)
What I'm not looking forward to is scraping the car in the morning when the wet snow on it is frozen solid followed by a potentially slippery drive to work. (and the car heater isn't working !!)
retropwr

Postby alison on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:33 pm

Brrrr.... what was it like then?? has it stayed or gone. I love snow until it turns slushy and then freezes with ice. It is so pretty to look at though especially on the yorkshire dales with trees and drystone walls and little sheep trying to shelter by the walls. Lovely..
It has been mighty cold today. We went to a new museum in town. Leeds City Museum. It was really good but we had to wait in a queue for twenty minutes before we got in and we were getting to the stage of having very cold feet. Luckily when we came out we didn't have to wait twenty minutes for Sonny to come and pick us up, he was already parked up in a lay-by which was great. :)
alison

Postby retropwr on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:54 pm

It was still there this morning. Because it started with rain then turned to snow then froze the car had a nice thick coating of ice. 5 minutes just to get a door open :( I must get that car heater fixed......

Apparently, according to Reading University meteorology department, the last time there was laying snow around here this early was in 1910.

At least it shouldn't be quite so cold tonight

I guess if this is the start of a long cold winter the up side would be that it might kill off a few of the imported garden pests that have started to take hold.
Richard
retropwr

Return to The garden shed