Parking ticket

Chill out and chat about anything.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Parking ticket

Postby alison on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:11 pm

A couple of weeks ago Sonny recieved a parking ticket in the private car park where he leaves his car every day near work. He has always bought the tickets every day and this particular monday was just the same. On the tuesday when he returned to his car he had a parking ticket fixed on his windscreen with the cause of the ticket being " parked without ticket clearly displayed" The fine was £80 or £120 if not paid within a week. We appealed against this as Sonny had a valid ticket which we photocopied and sent with a letter explaining that the only reason we could think of that the ticket might not have been displayed correctly was that due to the severly windy day on the monday the ticket may have turned over as he shut the car door. We explained that we had parked there every working day for the past 4 years and had always paid for a ticket so would they overlook this as it had obviously been an accident.
Our reply from them was NO. We still had to pay. Well we haven;t. Sonny says he will go to court before paying. The weeks deadline has come and gone now so we await another letter. We have been onto a consumer site who have told us not to pay. It looks like it may be a bumpy ride for a while.
alison

Re: Parking ticket

Postby AJC on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:18 pm

some of these damn parking attendants are just jobs worths! and the ones who sit in the offices are even worse.

I agree with sonny, take it to court and see if the magistrate has more sense.
AJC

Postby retropwr on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:33 pm

I used to work with someone who got a parking ticket for an improperly displayed ticket. It was a few years ago and was one of those you had to peel the backing off and stick to the windscreen.

His offence - it was upside down..............

I can't remember the outcome
Richard
retropwr

Postby alison on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:04 am

I am a bit worried that they might clamp Sonnys car or something to get payment or deny him access into the car park. It is the cheapest car park in town at £3.50 a day. The others are more than double so it would hit us hard to move away from it, but we shall see. When we went on the consumers website after we appealed to the parking charge, the information there was do nothing. Dont appeal.... So that was a worry immediately as now they have name and address, but they havce advised us that all is not lost and just to have no other communication with them at all. They may send other threatening letters but to just ignore them.
alison

Postby retropwr on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:59 pm

Could be worth asking http://www.lawanswers.co.uk/ to see what they have to say
Richard
retropwr

Postby alison on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:19 pm

Thanks Richard. The next letter came today telling us in no uncertain terms that if we do not pay the £120 within 7 days they may take court proceedings. We expected that. I guess they won't expect us not to pay though. We shall see what happens in a weeks time. Sonny is adamant that we will go to court rather than pay it. Lets hope the judge realises that they just wanted our money as we can show the valid ticket and a copy of our letter of appeal.
alison

Postby Ponddipperdave on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:18 pm

The same thing happened to me in a Stockport car park but my ticket was fixed to the windscreen.
I appealed and they just said okay! I think it was a rogue attendant sticking tickets all over the place.
I also parked in a street car park in Bolton. The Machine didn't work so I got one from the next car park. It seems that it belonged to some other company so I had to pay the fine even though I produced the ticket.
I have never been to Bolton since and don't intend to!
I tend to photograph my ticket in the car window of each town I visit now.
Dave
Hi All,
Dave here
What's an ICQ Number ?
Ponddipperdave

Postby alison on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:05 pm

It is such easy money for them isn't it.
alison

Postby alison on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:10 pm

The further letter arrived today saying that failure to pay will result in court proceedings which may lead to a warrant being issued to the bailiffs to get the money or seize goods. We have a further 7 days to make the payment. :( We will not be paying....
alison

Postby dampflippers on Tue May 19, 2009 1:49 pm

Is the ticket from the council or in a council owned car park? If so, get your local councillor involved even if he or she isn't your favourite party.

Where I live parking has been contracted out to a private company even for Council car parks, and these seem to be more strict.

Is it a privately owned car park? If so, look at their terms and conditions and see if they have broken any of their own rules.

If you have the ticket, take a photo of it on the dash board or wherever it was, with the date clearly visible. If it was turned over, then they would probably win an appeal because it wasn't displayed.

Make sure he was correctly parked in the bay with no overlap.

Write to Dom on the One Show, or another consumer champion.

Good luck!
dampflippers

Postby alison on Thu May 21, 2009 12:28 am

So far we haven't heard anything else from them. :D I don't know how long we would wait if it has been sent to court. :( We still have the ticket and our letter of appeal. It is a privately owned carpark but they send out tickets that look like official council ones but charge more than double the councils fines. Anyway I am looking on it as 'no news is good news' at the moment.
alison

Postby dampflippers on Thu May 21, 2009 11:34 am

Remember, if the bailiffs DO arrive, you are under no obligation to let them in.

Some info here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclai ... 3godRUScRw

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclai ... ng-tickets

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/fo ... icket.html

Look for the threads on private parking templates: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/fo ... -offences/

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/ ... 492397.ece

www.parking-appeals.gov.uk

http://www.netcar.co.uk/parkingticket.php

Don't forget to keep copies of all correspondence, and send your letters with proof of posting
dampflippers

Postby alison on Thu May 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks for going to so much trouble for us. I think that it is the comsumer action group that told us not to appeal,(we had already done so by then) not to correspond and not to pay.
alison

Postby kaz on Mon May 25, 2009 1:52 am

Alison... I'll be quite interested to see how your ticket saga turns out. A couple of weeks ago I took my niece (Ela) to the sea front for an ice-cream... I parked up and duly bought a ticket. Ela asked if she could pop it on the dashboard... I told her yes, but to make sure that it could be clearly seen by a traffic warden. I was standing at the car door watching her... and satisfied, off we went. On our return to the car, I too had a bloody ticket from the tw... it said I had failed to display the ticket clearly. Hmmm... on closer inspection I found that Ela had put the ticket back to front!!! Oh well... that cost £25.00 plus the £2.50 I paid for the ticket!
kaz

Postby alison on Mon May 25, 2009 9:11 pm

Did you try to appeal before paying it as I am sure that you could have put up a good arguement as you had the ticket displayed. You should have said anyone can read a ticket back to front so why couldn't the traffic warden. Again I think it is just a matter of them being greedy and wanting our money, Was it a private company or the council?
alison

Next

Return to The garden shed