Moving

Chill out and chat about anything.

Moderators: alison, sonny

Moving

Postby kaz on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:59 pm

How stressful... it looks like I'm moving to Sussex to be near the parents (too near I fear!!!). What a dreadful time to sell... I may need to rent out this house for a couple of years (this terrifies me... what if it gets trashed!!!).

Anyway... going through all the legal stuff at the moment and will probably exchange contracts in about 3 weeks, but not sure about completion. How I'll cope with the new garden... heaven knows!
kaz

Re: Moving

Postby AJC on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:54 am

you will miss your garden and fish kaz :( and after so much work to.
AJC

Postby alison on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Kaz that is awful for you. :( I thought you had bought a flat for your parents near you. I must have been mistaken. Maybe they were coming to look at one. I would keep the house if financially it is possible in this current climate and rent it. Surely where you are in the village you would only get nice tennants and doesn't your sister live next door, she could keep an eye on it. It is such a shame as it is the home you had expected to live with Steve (I hope I got his name right - sorry if not) and kind of did up in his memory and brought up scott there.
Are your parents finding life difficult as they age and need you to look after them. I think it is a lovely thing to look after your parents and give them your support as they would have supported you as a child, but it can be very hard work mentally as well as physically.
I hope all works out for you and that you are all able to compromise. Just think of it as another challenge to set for yourself. How big is this new garden and is there a pond? Maybe you can stamp yourself immediately on to the new property. Is it big enough to have a dove cote as your old neighbour was horrible about yours so this could be another chance to have a go with them. I can't believe that you would leave your lovely house and garden now after so much work, but family is very important.
alison

Postby kaz on Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:30 pm

The new garden has NO pond :shock:. It is also quite 'hilly'... I know what you're thinking... potential for lovely waterfall!!! The garden looks like it could be heavy going... mowing grass on steep banks. I dare not say too much about the move because contracts haven't even been exchanged yet... but I must confess that I have fallen in love with the place.

Alison... you have some memory girl. Scott and Donna have the flat (its just down the road from me, so I'll miss seeing them so much). Sister Helen moved away about 2 years ago (just over a mile down the road). My other sister lives in Sussex... also close to the parents.

Mum and Dad (lol... I only ever call them by their first names), well they are fitter than us kids!!!

As for renting out this place... I don't know what's riskier... someone trashing it or it standing empty waiting to be sold. Everything sort of happened so quickly... I've not had time to think properly. I sold the company last week... so now I'm 'unemployed'... it all feels very strange right now. I wish I was different, but I'm a person who will spend ages in a 'comfort zone' and rather than take small steps out of the 'zone' to explore, I do a giant leap into the unknown!!!

Anyway... if it all goes ok I might be begging for everyones' support with a new pond build (remote or hands-on :shock:)!!!
kaz

Postby alison on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Well we all enjoyed the last time you decided to do the garden up so I am sure we will all put our tuppence worth in. I was thinking about the hilly slopes and have visions of your dad doing the mowing seeing as he is fit and able, while you stand and take charge :D
Congratulations on selling the company after the last time went pearshaped.
Now take a bit of time to get installed in your new home and think of something you would like to do as a hobby and then make it into your next career.You could go on that TV programme 'life begins again'. I watched it the other day and a woman had changed a high flying career to become a garden designer.
I am sure that you would have bought something really beautiful to be your new home and you will soon get the garden under control. There is no doubt you will make it beautiful and we will await the pictures. Good Luck with it all.
alison

Postby dampflippers on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:04 pm

Good luck with a smooth move.
Will a letting company be handling the let? I think it is important right from the start to put in clauses about getting them out if necessary.
Both of my sisters let their out when working abroad, and had no problems.
Loads of photos and inventories need to be taken before they move in, of every room, of every wall, every floor etc and be clear who pays for repairs and renovations.
Anyway, I'm sure you'll get some sort of legal advice somewhere along the way.
dampflippers

Postby kaz on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Hmmm... I don't know what happened, but I posted here last night and its disappeared :(

The agents have now been and taken photos and the house went on the letting market yesterday (constant cleaning now I guess). Damp, I'm using the agent to fully manage the let and you are so right about photos and lists!

Heaven knows if I'm doing the right thing here... moving away from family and friends. I know I'll have to work hard at building a new life... quite scary really. I'm incredibly shy (outside of a business environment), so making new friends will be a challenge!

The current owners of the house I'm buying have made the garden look lovely... I just hope I can keep it to their standard (I won't be able to afford a gardener... so I have my work cut out).

Alison... I really plan on getting back into painting / arty crafty stuff. Oh... and I want to take cooking lessons (I seriously can't cook at the moment).
kaz

Postby kaz on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm

Here's a confession... I feel like I'm drowning :(

Well, I guess this is positive in a way, but I have a tenant. Actually, I'm quite pleased with 'him' - a local businessman, who restored his own period property. The panic... he wants to move into the house in 6 weeks... this is way too soon for me (or is it? I simply don't know).

Next problem... I am honestly out of my depth doing this move on my own. I mean, preparing this house for rental (not only making sure I'm compliant with landlord health and safety requirements), I don't want the tenant to experience difficulties which will be passed back to me to sort out. Over the years you get kind of used to the quirks of this house, so going round to make sure every thing is to a good standard has given me a bit of a kick up the bum... for example, I have a celing light that should take 3 bulbs, but some time ago I busted something so it now takes 2 bulbs :? - need to buy new light... and that's just the start of the list!!!

The worst part for me is the garage... years ago, I chucked (in absolute anger) a load of boxes and stuff in there and just shut the door and not really revisited. I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but Steve died just 2 days before we were due to move into this house... its all his shit in the garage! I've just ordered a 'builder's' skip to come on Friday and probably through a haze of tears, I'll chuck the lot :(

Can't think straight...
kaz

Postby alison on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:45 pm

Time for a new start Kaz.
Everything you have acheived in the home you had wanted to share with Steve has been accomplished because of your steadfast character and because Steve had wanted to do up the house and garden with you. This was not possible due to very sad and unforseen circumstances and there is no reason why you shouldn't have been very angry at the time. But now is time for a new chapter in your life. Is Scott available on friday or before to come and look through his dads stuff in case there is anything he would like to keep. Let him take some of this burden if you feel it would help. But saying that there is also no reason why when you go through it you cannot allow yourself to cry and then let go. You will feel sad at the time but it will be a part of healing any parts left still vunerable before you move on. I will be thinking of you and I am sure that the rest of us here will also.
Now as to the new tenant. If you feel that you cannot be ready in 6 weeks then delay it. Have you completed yet on the new house or will you have by then. If so then go for it but otherwize let him wait a little longer. This is for you to decide. You are bound to feel all at odds as this has been a major jump into the unknown and is suddenly going at speed. Remember you have fallen in love with the new home and it is an exciting new project. Look forward to it.
Take care and remember you might feel like you are drowning at the moment but if you stand up you will realise that the waters only up to your knees.
alison

Postby kaz on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:56 pm

Bless you Alison... you are a real treasure :)
kaz

Postby alison on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:36 am

Thankyou :D You will be fine.
alison

Postby alison on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:38 am

How did it go. I hope you were okay and it wasn't too painful. Have you come to a decision about the 6 weeks move ?
alison

Postby kaz on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:00 am

Thanks for asking Alison... the skip is full (I now need to trample it down so I can get more in it). The garage is only 50% cleared :(... it's like an oven in there!

Every evening I've been incinerating old company records (there were 60 boxes in the garage!). I do have large shredding bags (done by a company), but you have to remove all staples and paperclips first... this is really fiddly and time consuming. Everything must be destroyed... data protection thingy.

The pond is very clear with some last traces of blanket weed still visible. There's still fry in there (fry in both ponds :)).

I'm wondering how long it will be before I start digging a pond at the new place! The garden is complicated. Watching the fish is so relaxing.

Moving = stress :shock:
kaz

Postby alison on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:11 pm

I think it will need to be near the top of your 'things to do first list.' maybe not actually making it, but planning the garden around a massive pond and trying how to work out your hill mowing. Fish do seem so restful and I wouldn't like to be without a pond now, even though mine is full of duckweed at the moment and the fish can't be seen so I have a lot of weeding to do. Maybe I will do that now instead of the housework.. :D :D
alison

Postby kaz on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:40 pm

HEAVEN & H3LL

kaz

Next

Return to The garden shed